Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Frame bags – how much can they hold?
  • AlasdairMc

I’m looking at getting a frame bag for my El Mariachi, but unsure if they’re worth it. I already have a drybag on the bars for my tent and sleep mat, and a saddle bag for my sleeping bag and some clothes.

How much extra can I hold in a frame bag, versus just carrying two bottle cages and putting the rest on my back?

Also – how easy is it to carry a bike with a frame bag on it, as I expect I’ll be doing a lot of hike a bike with it?

scotroutes

Want to have a look at/try mine?

AlasdairMc

Have you got a full-sized bag Colin or just a partial one?

scotroutes

I have the full-size Salsa/Revelate one. Ain’t used it yet 🙂 I suspect it’ll only be necessary for longer, multi-day trips as the bar-bag/seat-pack combo holds quite a bit. I might have to use it if I have the raft on the bars too.

I get what you are saying about carrying the bike if you are depending on putting the top tube over your shoulder, but that’s already a pain if you are using two bottle cages.

Water carrying with the frame bag then becomes a bit of a choice…

Use a Camelback.
    Fit a reservoir into the frame bag.
    Mount the bottles elsewhere (forks are popular).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon I can get all my cooking gear and 3 days food in my alpkit bag, on a large soul front triangle. Great bags, make a great use of dead space, but as said earlier, limits your bike carrying abilities.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Frame bags – how much can they hold?’ is closed to new replies.