Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Frame-bag vs Handlebar bag – bikepacking content
  • ajt123
    Free Member

Hi, am torn between getting an alpkit frame-bag and some sort of handle-bar bag for my coast to coast this summer.

Looking to put clothes, tools etc in there – trying to take as much weight out of the back pack as possible.

Are there any advantages to the handle-bar bag other than cost? Looks like it might be a faff having on the bars, is it?

Cheers, Alex

ianfitz
    Free Member

What sort of bar bag? And do you plan the c2c or the off road version?

If you mean a clip on, touring type bar bag and you plan on using it off road I reckon it will last about 10 minutes.

mlke
    Free Member

Weight on the bars can take some getting used to.
    But I like to use the bottle cages so I have used a dry bag on the bars and avoided frame bags before

ajt123
    Free Member

Off road ianfitz

Probably something like this = Alpit kanga with a dry-bag in it.

The more I think about it, the more annoying and rustle-some it sounds. I’d like a more informed opinion though.

jerseymountainbiker
    Free Member

I did the off-road Coast to Coast last year with handle bar bag (Wildcat Harness with Revelate Saltyroll) and seat bag (Revelate Terrapin). I found it excellent. i had 2 bottles (it was 30 degrees C). It also allowed me to shoulder the bike through the frame for the climb up Black Sail pass, etc.

scotroutes

I have a frame bag, saddle bag and handlebar bag. I’ve yet to use the framebag as the other options are much better for carrying bulky kit and that leaves space for water bottles.

Molgrips will be along shortly to advance the case for panniers.

Chew
    Free Member

I’d go with the handlebag bag.

As Scotroutes says, good for carrying light, but bulky items like sleeping bags etc.. You’ll not know its there and you can swap them between bikes as well.

I’ve stopped using my frame bag so that i can use the bottle mounts and it helps with any lifting.

There does seem to be an advantage of using a small bag and not putting too much weight on the bike, if there is going to be a reasonable amount of pushing/carrying involved (such as the C2C)

ianfitz
    Free Member

Ok understand now. I like a lot of alpkit stuff but not the kanga. It’s seems to hold stuff too high and can’t really use a bar mounted light. The wildcat version is awesome though.

Frame bags are good too though. If you’ve a large frame you may well fit a revelate tangle half bag in as well as bottle racks. I use one on a medium frame and can fit a bottle on an extra set of bosses.

Ps did we meet on cut gate the other day? Or is the offroad c2c a popular trip this year?

scotroutes

Other, non-Alpkit, options are available. Revelate do a one-piece bag (Sweet Roll) or the Harness which uses a drybag.

ajt123
    Free Member

Scotsroute – thanks for drawing my attention to the revelate alternative.

ianfritz – unlikely, as was in Surrey that day.

One concern is that if I change frame, might not fit. Don’t think I would go bigger than an 18 inch [currently 17 inch]. . .

bri-72

From my onetime use of a bar bag, I found not being able to see my front wheel a bit nervy on tight single track. Not really an issue on wider less techy tracks tho.

richpips
    Free Member

How much stuff are you wanting to carry?

A frame bag will give you some but not lots of storage. If I get everything in one that’s what I’d go with.

However if you want to carry more eg clothes, then I’d go with a dry bag on the front, or a seatpack, or both.

You don’t need to be worried by not seeing the front of your wheel, just look ahead.

doh
    Free Member

Alpkit extra drybag and a couple of decent strap is the best for carrying on bars I have tried. The relevate option is not very good and costs a lot. And It took over 3 months for delivery:( waste of time IMO.

smitghga34
    Free Member

I have done multiple night packing trips just using an alpkit airlock extra strapped on the bars and one strapped behind the seat and found it worked perfectly well. I now have an alpkit seatpack but honestly can’t say its any better than just using and airlock xtra and if anything I prefer the simplicity of just bags and straps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Frame-bag vs Handlebar bag – bikepacking content’ is closed to new replies.