Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Frame back from powder, what next!!!
  • quentinfarquar
    Free Member

I will be picking up my first coated frame later in the week, just wondered what I need to.. or should do… before I start rebuilding… do I need it facing?

Littleman
    Free Member

You should probably get the BB and headset faced.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yeah, BB and head-tube faced, plus you should have the BB threads chased while you're at it. Get the brake tabs faced too. If you're looking to preserve the finish, it's easier to put protective stickers/tape/inner tube on the stays and yolks before the wheel is in.

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Who would do that for me and what would it cost…. this cheap retro build is getting swiftly out of had.

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

So I picked my frame up this morning, and I have to say, having looked at alot of threads on the subject of powder coating that I am stunned by the finish. I am a fussy sod, and I carn't pick fault at all… looks like a brand new frame. I had it done by http://www.yorvik-es.co.uk/ Yorvik Engineering Services in York.

But now before I rebuild, do I really need to have it faced, or will it be okay?

RudiBoy
    Free Member

nah, get bb and headtubed faced…. remember to keep turning the frame round to take out all the shot before you build it back up.

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

How do I get then faced, any good shop?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yep, £15 for each thing

£15 for the BB

£15 for the headtube

£15 for the brakes (i'm guessing its a v-brake frame so the threads will need tapping, and new posts?)

Possible need for tapping of the mech hanger £5

Take a round file to the dropouts otherwise they'll be very tight.

tinsy
    Free Member

I just scraped off any oversprayed powdercoat on the BB and headset faces myself with a stanley blade, if it was square when you took it in its still square now.

It does pay to make sure all the shot is out, ive scratched my seatpost to bugger on shot in the seatube, and clean out the threads really well on the BB with a wire brush etc, or better still get them chased at a shop, anY LBS will do it.

lcj

Standard STW rules. First thing you do is post a picture!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Go to York Cycleworks on Lawerence Street..

Ask for Sam/ Fraz/ or Sid,

Tell them BigNick sent you- they'll square you away.

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

I should but it's in the car boot, and I arn't sure how too….

It is supposed to be a low budget build, so wasn't sure if facing was overkill.

tinsy
    Free Member

Budget build, then dont bother, are you fitting a HT2 type BB anyhow?

But you do have to really clean it out, and especially the threads and seatube etc, like I said just scrape off any overapplied powdercoat with a stanley blade.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Frame back from powder, what next!!!’ is closed to new replies.