Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Frame add banned in MBUK
  • haddock
    Free Member

MBUK ad

Upgrade bikes ad has been banned by ASA. Not sure about the Knives/Steel connection Upgrade tried using to justify it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure knives should ever be used in an advert to be honest. It just looks odd to me the advert rather than offensive necessarily.

Stoner
    Free Member

Never heard of upgrade bikes (at least until this months interview in ST).
    What do they say about bad publicity?

Drac

Not sure knives should ever be used in an advert to be honest

Apart from advertising cooking products and implements?

Junkyard
    Free Member

🙂
    but it is clearly not doing that (and yes Argos can still take photos of them)I assume you are aware of the knife culture issues amongst young people aren't you?
    Not exactly sure this encourages it anymore than it encourages you to wrap your t-shirt round your head but it seems to add nothing to the advert and is avoidable.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am very glad that someone is protecting me from this sort of thing.

nickc

Hadn't paid it any attention TBH.

Upgrade Bikes you say?

Pook

I've seen the pic now anyway. That guy looks cool. Where can i get a knife? I want to stab something.

Stoner
    Free Member

Stabbety stabby stab!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Upgrade bikes?

It's DMR and Kinesis innit.

nuke

The complaint was made by the City and County of Swansea Trading Standards Service, who thought the portrayal of the knives "condoned and glamorised violence and was irresponsible".

So people are employed to sit and flick through magazines judging content? 😕

Drac

Well it seems to have worked regardless of what people think more people will be aware of them now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Knife adverts? I knew someone would have a STAB at CUTTING them out, but they're in up to the HILT after that SLICE of the action, but they were pretty SHARP about it, eh?

Ba-dum-tishhh. I'm 'ere all week!

Coat, door etc.
    😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Upgrade are the distributors for DMR and Kinesis, no idea how the business model works seeing as DMR and kinesis are both uk based companies?

Pook

What's your point peter?

brant
    Free Member

Be fun if they replaced the knives with celery.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohhhhhhhhhh….!
    Missed that one Pook, well done!
    😉

Dougal
    Free Member

Surely MBUK banned this ad for not having enough boobs. It's all about the target audience!

-m-
    Free Member

What's your point peter?

It's just his attempt at cutting-edge humour.

Sandwich

THere's lots of sharp people about this morning.

clubber
    Free Member

Oooh! cutting remark, sandwich

DezB
    Free Member

You would've thought Simon Ralli would know better

takisawa2

So, if the chavs start smacking each other with Bombers we'll be banning fork ads I presume…oh dear.

Trimix
    Free Member

What a load of crap…. should they now ban young people from entering kitchens next, afterall there are lots of sharp steel things hidden in draws there. FFS !

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes load of cr@p no issue at all with young people knives stabbing and glamourising
    All 72 young people who have died violently in 2008

Forty-three – 61% – of the victims were stabbed, far higher than the 35% of murders which official statistics show are carried out this way across all age groups.

We do have an issue particularily in London and other urban areas
    I am youth worker trust me there are more tooled up young people amongst this generation than there was in the past (I am not one of the in my day it was all better but I can read statistics/research). Many/majority do so because they are scared that everyone else is doing the same.
    One ban on an advert is unlikely to change much but really what is the point [nice pun eh] of the advert and the use of knives?

codebauer
    Free Member

Erm, a paronomasia!

timnwild

It's much less to do with the content of the ad itself than the process by which stuff gets pulled. The Advertising Standards Authority looks into every complaint, and if it's upheld, then an ad gets pulled.

So it's got nothing to do with popular opinion really – if ONE person complains and the ASA thinks they're right, out it goes. In my experience though (ad industry for 7 years now) it rarely gets that far – as soon as a brand gets a whiff that there might be a backlash against an ad, they pull it themselves. Because it's cheaper to lose the money you spent making the ad and buying the space to show it than it is to be on the front of the daily mail three days in a row because you're 'glamourising knife crime.' Stupid, narrow-minded, unrepresentative, undemocratic, but that's how these things work.

CountZero

Junkyard, it would be very interesting to see just exactly how many of those who killed with a knife were encouraged to do so by an advert in a bike magazine which had a knife in it. I would hazzard a guess and say none. These idiots carry knives because of peer pressure and gang intimidation, common in inner city areas.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well said CountZero.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Frame add banned in MBUK’ is closed to new replies.