• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by petec.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fractured Fibula anyone?
  • Wally

Shiny root + blind corner = cast and crutches.
    Any advice? 2 Oblique hair line cracks about 10 cm up Fibula from ankle. Rest and elevate. 6-8 weeks?

richgrounds
    Free Member

Did mine in Les Gets a few weeks back. I had surgery to put a plate in and it’s 6 weeks from then in a cast with no weight. Rest and elevate is all you can do really. Boxsets, sports and xbox getting me through.

Daffy

Did mine (spiral, compound of the Fib and transverse of the Tib) in November 09. 10 weeks in a non-load bearing cast, but got around just fine on crutches (4 mile walk 5 days per week) during that time, but it hurts. Once the cast came off it was another 4 weeks before it stopped aching and another 8-10 before I felt safe enough to consider risking it on the bike, so 6 months total recovery for me.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I did mine in 2006, combining it with a nice dislocated ankle.
    2 screws in the ankle to stabilise the tendons/ligaments and the whole thing in a cast to just below the knee, with crutches, for about 6-7 weeks. Cast off, screws out. I had to have physio to teach me how to walk on that leg again

Fine now but it does ache now & again, usually when the weather is bad

DanW
    Free Member

Did the same as Daffy and that was 14 weeks in a cast and over 12 months recovery. Good news OP is yours sounds very different. Be patient, go with the advice from the orthpods and enjoy some tv. Fractures and people vary a lot so do what you can to recover but don’t rush

poolman
    Free Member

I broke my foot so 6 weeks rest and elevation. I wish i d kept my upper body strength up but just lay on the sofa. Cast free i was in the pool every day, you soon get your fitness back.

God i was so bored.

superstu
    Free Member

Appreciate that this is going to sound like a humblebrag but it isn’t meant to be..

I did mine playing football, went to my local A&E (small rural town in Devon). Doctor basically said no bruise so not broken and insinuated I’d wasted time.

Played on it a week later briefly, felt awful and hurt so took myself off. Saw a GP, got an x ray booked (now about 3/4 weeks after) and showed it had snapped in half but was mending nicely. They decided to do nothing to it in the end.

Most painful things whilst recovery were twisting the ankle or things like stairs where the ankle is used a lot. Done about the same place as yours, recovery about the same time. Odd pain after and the immediate area sore to touch but pretty much ok after

Daffy

1 piece of advice. If your going to be doing serious mileage on your crutches, buy some foam handlebar grips, cut them open and glue them to the handles on your crutches otherwise you’ll soon have blistered hands.

chiefgrooveguru

Doesn’t sound too bad! When I did mine it was a spiral fracture caused by completely dislocating the foot, so I had to have a plate and seven screws put in it. Still doesn’t work right and is causing all manner of problems with my knee, hip and lower back on that side.

Once it’s ready for physio, do everything to ensure you get full functionality back, even if they tell you it isn’t possible (though yours sounds like nothing has been displaced so you should be fine).

Good luck!

badnewz
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound too bad, I had a hairline fracture on the old fib bone, although it was higher up. It mended itself and I was supposed to be on crutches for over a month but I could get by after two weeks without them, but your fracture is lower down so could be different.

Wally

Hurts more now, nearly four days on. I hope the fracture review shows it is knitting together, hence the twinges I guess.Thanks for the advice STW.
    It’s more of a mental thing than I realised not being able to move about without crutches or hopping. Every movement has to be quite necessary. When you get casual you clip your dud leg causing a twist or shock up and OMG you know about it. In the grand scheme of things, quite minor, just really omnipresent at the moment.

petec
    Free Member

mine was the same as DanW; albeit during rugby. Not nice. Still got a dent in my shin.

good few months in a full leg cast, and then no rugby for over a year.

Whole thing had been exacerbated by the ambulance strike at the time, so lay there for 3 hours till two 70 year old St John’s Ambulance chaps turned up. The rest of the team had been on the beers by that point, so came to “help” put me in the ambulance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fractured Fibula anyone?’ is closed to new replies.