Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fractured Collarbone in a 10year old Recovery time???
  • slowuphill
    Free Member

My son fractured his collarbone last friday. Anyone know a rough idea of recovery time for this fracture. We have a ski holiday booked for the easter period, in 4 weeks and he will be gutted if he can not go.
    Thanks

acjim
    Free Member

I don't know if a 10yr old would heal faster but when I broke my c-bone (at 25) it took a good couple of months to be sound enough to consider any kind of activity that risked crashing / falling. Can you use travel insurance to back out of the trip?

tinsy
    Free Member

It really depends on the break and the kid, 3-4 weeks and they are usually pretty solid.. but it depends on many, many things so no one here can tell you.

stealthcat

Where are you based? A lot of the MX boys use the Physioclinic in Ipswich for busted collarbones; whether they will treat kids, I don't know, but they seem to have a reputation for speeding up the healing times…

Nick

At 33 I broke mine and rode (and fell off on) the Borrowdale Bash route 7 weeks later.

Tell him to stay off the fags and booze, drink an extra glass of milk a day and go see an expert who can advise, plus I'd check with your travel insurance.

glenh
    Free Member

At 10yrs, he probably be using it again no problem in 4 weeks, but I'm not sure how it would deal with lots of falling over.

Depends how bad the fracture is (how much displacement) of course, but kids heal fractures much faster than adults.

br
    Free Member

My son broke his last year (at 10), according to the x-ray it was for the second time…

Anyway he just stayed off his bike a week or two, didn't miss any school – didn't actually seem to bother him.

jimmy

After 4 weeks it might be 'fixed' but jeesus I wouldn't want to fall on it. Is he a good skiier….?

FWIW mine have taken 6 weeks to fix (ie the bone stops grating on itself).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I very much doubt he will be fit to ski in 4 wks – the trouble is that if he falls on it again it will just break again.

You need proper advice tho – ask when you go back to fracture clinic

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fractured Collarbone in a 10year old Recovery time???’ is closed to new replies.