• This topic has 43 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by s1m0n.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Fractured brake finger..how long off the bike??
  • discapade
    Free Member

Gutted (:0(

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

6 weeks . I am not a Doctor

ajantom

Brake with your middle finger?

crispyrice

2 to 4 weeks off the bike, 2 months off mountain biking, 3 months off downhill. For me anyway.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Greg Minnaar didn’t wait. Just taped it to the grip and rode.

I’d probably not suggest doing that though. What did they say in the fracture clinic? There’s quite a few things you can damage on fingers (nerves and tendons) if you don’t let it heal properly. But you’ll be back before the summer starts.

discapade
    Free Member

Cheers all..feeling a bit low as I have just built up a new ride ..I did it at work..had an op today and they removed my nail…it hurts so much, worse than childbirth I recon..lol

Brianblessed
    Free Member

until you can ride without it hurting so much you have to stop (codeine helps;-)

taxi25
    Free Member

How are you with pain ? Broke my ffinger during practise at a mx meeting. Left my glove on and taped it to the one nxt to it. Did the 3 races but it was sore the nxt day 8O. Had a couple of weeks of then back riding. Co-codamol is your friend.

patagonian
    Free Member

I’ve done this a number of times playing cricket. I assume they have strapped it to the adjacent finger? I always allowed 4-6 weeks.

YoGrant
    Free Member

MTFU and ride!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Did it couple years back along with couple of fingers on the other hand. 4 weeks back on the bike. Index finger in splint, just use middle finger instead. https://www.instagram.com/p/oonPJwleYF/

Bit of physio and few weeks later I was in the alps doing Passportes. After I was told I could start riding doing gentle stuff 😀 . Being braking finger it worked out good physio for it. Still can’t bend the finger fully but nearly there now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on the fracture
    Couple of hand ones at 6 weeks immobilised then took another 6 to be on the mtb. That was also pushing myself hard. Get a trainer

xyeti
    Free Member

I won’t bore you with details, Tape it to one that’s not broke and just crack on.

paladin

discapade – Member
    had an op today and they removed my nail…it hurts so much,

snapped the tip of mine off and yanked the nail bed out in a brake disc. sorest bit was when they pushed the nail bed back in. 2 weeks bandaged up, had to move my brake lever a centimetre outboard so i could use my next finger.

philb88
    Free Member

As long as it takes for the vibration going through it to not hurt!

Currently got a broken thumb, they gave me a plastic splint to keep the thumb straight. Been riding after 2 weeks, got another 2 of the twelve left! Just have to use the palm of the hand for dropper!!

Drac

Did you trip down some steps?

epicyclo

Simple.

Front brake on working side. Fixed rear wheel. Problem solved. 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

stupidly – MTFU 🙂

sensibly – don’t MTFU and / or mask the pain with drugs. Pain means something isn’t right. I took painkillers and carried on sailing with a dislocated thumb / broken fore-finger for a 2 week event. 15 years later, my hand aches and my thumb’s ‘lazy’. I won, so arguably worth it!

Ask a Dr. Do exactly what they tell you. If you think you need or want physio then push for it. There’s a reason they spend so long training / earn a fortune!

I cracked my index finger’s knuckle and it took 5 weeks for the pain to go. Was riding after 4.

wwaswas

The issue isn’t the 6weeks for the bone is any tendon etc damage you need to worry about.

People get away with all sorts of abuse of injured digits but I’d want to be sure I want making things worse by riding – get some professional advice.

I damaged some tendons in my left thumb in a fall last year, they’re still not ‘right’, although I took advice and stayed if the bike for 6 weeks and started out gently bones heal a lot more quickly than other bits.

discapade
    Free Member

Cheers all, some great advice here..Only had the op yesterday…jeez the pain is close to broken ribs. I don’t like taking drugs of any sort but have been knocking back pain killers like smarties..wtf do we have so many nerve endings in hands and teeth..lol

taxi25
    Free Member

If you’ve had an Op ignore all the Mtfu advise including my own. You’ll have to wait untill it’s properly healed, could be weeks !!

ernie

The Doc advised me to stay off the bike for a couple of weeks, but in essence use common sense. If it hurts = stop. I was riding to work again after one week, the vibration was the killer. Riding my cx bike with disc brakes was the only thing that made it feasible in my opinion: wider tyres and disc brakes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As said, it’s the tendon and ligament damage that you have to be careful about. In my case a ligament had partially ripped a bit of bone off and they insisted many months of a finger splint. They weren’t really that bothered about the general fractures I had in the other hand.

philjunior
    Free Member

ajantom – Member
    Brake with your middle finger?

Initially I thought this, but obviously be sensible.

I had an injury (I didn’t go to the doc in case (s)he told me not to ride my bike or climb) in my hand twice from falling in exactly the same place. It took 3-6 months to stop hurting whilst riding – though for the vast majority of that it only hurt when braking on bumpy sections. Using your middle finger to brake may help you get back on the bike in comfort sooner.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You should of had it removed. You could have been back on the bike next day.

callmetc
    Free Member

I’ve not fractured a finger but I’ve broke a few knuckles and found the small vibrations of going off road really took its toll.

that was after a few weeks of ‘healing’

rest is your friend. if you feel ready to ride in a few weeks just don’t push to hard.

jamj1974

3 months for me but broke braking and next finger. With physio it now has full movement and is almost at full strength.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Middle finger braking depends on whether your brake will hit the index finger before it comes on…

It’s kinda interesting though, I think i might actually have a better grip on the bars like that than with the index on the lever.

chrismac

I share your pain. Broke my 5th metacarpal last Saturday clipping a tree with the bars. Ive fracture clinic have grounded me for 4 weeks until my next appointment. Not happy as its spring and want to be out when its not a freezing cold bog fest.

philjunior
    Free Member

Mine did recover to full strength and movement, which was also kind of part of the reason I didn’t go to docs, as movement was improving and pain decreasing over time, and I feared resting it could restrict the movement and weaken it. I’m obviously not a doctor and am not recommending my course of action.

nicksar
    Free Member

Damaged mine riding, ending up having a fusion been riding for 3 years with no movement at all just wear a finger brace and use middle finger for braking, you soon get used to it. 🙂

discapade
    Free Member

So the fusion was the last joint? How come it couldn’t be repaired mate?

patagonian
    Free Member

If you’ve had an op then it’s more than a straightforward fracture – and if that’s the case the only people you should be taking advice from is the doctors.

discapade
    Free Member

Agreed but not going back for a week so want some real life happenings

rOcKeTdOg

I won’t bore you with details, Tape it to one that’s not broke and just crack on.

This
    (depending on how you’re bred) you have another 9 to use

Suggsey
    Free Member

Turbo trainer time!

nicksar
    Free Member

Tendons stuck to the bone discapade, the finger wouldn’t bend do 3 operations later I had no option but to have a fusion

martinxyz
    Free Member

I chipped the bone next to the knuckle 3 weeks ago. I couldn’t see any crack on the xray but took their word for it. It was taped to the next finger for a week and is still swollen compared to the other finger. Not a full on fracture so it’s probably not all that bad but catching it on stuff over the first week was sore and I still cant grip tight enough to form a fist. I’m now stretching it and trying some kind of massage each day and its been good over the past few days. Hot water,cold water,hot water – repeat,before the massage is feeling good. Maybe ask someone how long you should wait before you start any stretching or deep massages!

mrsfry
    Free Member

It’s only a finger for crying out loud. Good grief

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/a3B8Fp]Holiday Pic[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    I was back on the bike the next day but it took a while to get it right 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Fractured brake finger..how long off the bike??’ is closed to new replies.