Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Fracking jobs?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

How would one go about getting into that industry? Clearly my expertise doesn’t lie in the chemical side of things as my once done chemistry stint at uni is a very distant memory.
    If it does kick off I’d assume there’ll be a fair few jobs knocking around.

kevj
    Free Member

I’ll keep an eye on this thread as I have been watching the progress of Fracking as an emerging industry in the UK.

The company I work for provides blast protection, generally for offshore applications, but the extraction process and associated risk has similarities.

As for experience, I imagine someone who has worked offshore, or someone with on-land drilling experience (Geotechnical exploration/ boreholes etc.) would be very well suited.

Then there is the whole H&S, logistics side to consider…

bigjim

It’ll totally depend on what your experience is, but you’ll be wanting to apply to the licence holders themselves or their contractors. If you are talking UK I wouldn’t get too carried away just yet though!

sandwicheater

Earthworks-jobs.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah more so on the ground, h and s side.
    Been running commercial construction jobs ans setting out for 10/15 years now. In that time up to 10million in value so nothing huge. I also work “hands on” when things are quiet such as the last few years where its been smaller projects with less scope for bringing in subbies for every aspect.
    As I fast approach 40, (18 months to go) my old back is starting to say lets take it a bit easier actually on site.
    Just wondered of any relevant qualifications etc as I basically have nothing on paper other that iosh and smsts, and the usual plant/trade tickets.

project
    Free Member

Be plenty of jobs in Public relations and the media, trying to persuade most of us its safe, and cheaper than current stuff.

Also security as the nimbys dont want it next to their houses.

alexpalacefan

I don’t want it poisoning the nation’s water supply, that’s all.
    Fracking is a REALLY bad idea, please don’t do it.
    APF

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry mate, all my cousins in the groundworks and tarmaccing business have it sewn up already. I’ll put in a good word for you if any labouring work comes up though. 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

Lets get the test wells out of the way first as the entire thing may be a flop. Its not as guaranteed a payout as the telegraph will have you believe.

I dealt with a coiled tubing trainer in Canada two years ago who started at the age of 43 and quickly became an coiled tubing unit operator. The impression I get is that once you have a job show that you are competent, reliable, safety concious that you can rise quite quickly. However I’m not in the industry just on the edge of it and don’t get any of the good monies so my view may be skewed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Apf please stop driving your car your poisoning the worlds air supply.

That is all thanks.

piemonster

And using the internet. Buying food. Boiling a kettle.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ffs darcey. Bloody immigrants pinching all the best jobs again 😉

CountZero

APF

So tell us how extracting gas from two to three thousand feet below ground is going to affect water supplies that come from either surface reservoirs, or Cartesian wells a hundred or so deep?
    Enquiring minds would like to know.

righog
    Free Member

alexpalacefan – Member
    APF

Could you please supply your evidence for this claim that it will poison the nations water supply ?

and while your at it please give a brief synopsis of your
    preferred method for the nations power supply ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

To be fair countzero, when fracking most of the carrier fluid for the proppant comes back to surface , can contain radium and bromide in solution – this requires proper disposal. Americans being americans just let it go into the water table early on – much like they did when they first struck oil letting it pool on the surface.

The act of fracking is not the cause its impropper disposal of the millions of gallons of water required.

But then thats not what the daily whail tells you im sure…. Gasland is what your thinking im sure.

righog
    Free Member

The aquifers will be isolated with casing ( steel tubing ) The Frac fluid will be collected and disposed of in a contained manner.

Trail Rat… Radium and Bromide in solution ? where does that come from ?

To answer the Op’s question… I am not sure but there if it does prove to be commercial there will be a lot of activity. Onshore drilling at the minute is an extremely demanding job. I guess the first intake will be from the existing offshore drilling personnel. I have been in the offshore drilling industry for 25 years and to be honest there has been almost no talk either from colleges or the companies about it, so to getting info may difficult until the industry really takes off.

Conqueror
    Free Member

How would one go about getting into that industry?

If you own a reservoir/well or some sort of water supply they’d probably bite your hand off 😆

Conqueror
    Free Member

Could you please supply your evidence for this claim that it will poison the nations water supply ?

and while your at it please give a brief synopsis of your
    preferred method for the nations power supply ?

Can’t supply evidence [read can’t be arsed to google]…

But if the rocks are porous enough somewhere near where a given fracking operation is taking place you’d expect this to be a concern

pondo

The company I work for provides blast protection, generally for offshore applications, but the extraction process and associated risk has similarities.

Hey, if you need someone to shout “look out!” or “run!”, look me up! 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

But if the rocks are porous enough somewhere near where a given fracking operation is taking place you’d expect this to be a concern

This is true but most of the time the fracking is into basically impermeable shales (if they were permeable they wouldn’t need to be fracked) and so it’s much more about zonal isolation (using casing and the like) than potential direct contamination from reservoir to aquifer. So good casing design / testing and good regulations around the above are what’s really needed.

TheFlyingOx

This is true but most of the time the fracking is into basically impermeable shales (if they were permeable they wouldn’t need to be fracked) and so it’s much more about zonal isolation (using casing and the like) than potential direct contamination from reservoir to aquifer. So good casing design / testing and good regulations around the above are what’s really needed.

Who do you think you are, waltzing in here with your “facts” and “well-reasoned scientific opinion”?

trail_rat
    Free Member

They dont send it down with that in it righog …. It what comes back from certain formations once the fluids lefts its proppant and come back up via the screens. Perhaps i should have put the word can in there but it sounded more dramatic for the count 😉 edit – it seems i did put can in…. I did umm and ah about it 🙂

Youll know your self how much stuff comes back and can be radioactive from the formation , down wytchfarm way alot of the welltractors and such that come out of hole have to be decontaminated before they can be taken back to base. – and they already deal with contaminated flowback waters down there…. Is just that the water involved in fracking is of a much greater magnitude,

Mat

Wytch Farm is a water flood though TR so the water there will have been exposed to the reservoir for a much longer time (what ever the residence is from injector to producer – although I guess this could be quite quick if it’s not going well)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is that a for or against statement mat ? I was using wytch farm as an example of them already dealing with contaminated fluids.

Mat

Pro fracking, I was just adding that to state that I’d assume that to be an extreme case, the frac fluid would be in contact for at best a few days before flow-back and would have had contact with much less of the reservoir rock -> less chance to pick up minerals.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your forgetting that the act of fracking makes for shifting formations , its no longer a nicely consolidated formation with water sitting in it…. Its now breaking up into smaller particles and creating more surface area to take from.

Whats interesting is that the californians were all calling for controls on fracking before it takes off there – they were doing it a good number of years ago….. Just before the government got wind of it …

They had radioactive signs all round their flowback tanks , we were warned not to go near unless involved in the handling or disposal.

We were even shown some of the early testing they did where they blew the side of a hill open by going over board with the hydraulic horse power.

Mat

Yeah but a single batch of a few Mbbls of water sitting a few 100ft away from your wellbore for a couple of days isn’t going going to pick up as much as a continous stream of Mbbls per day finishing up a week/months/years journey percolating through the pore space a few miles from injector to producer. Massive digresion I just don’t want folk thinking there’s going to be an endless stream of glow in the dark water coming back from frac jobs!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ach let em think that, they read anything the daily mail writes as fact anyway.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Wtf? have you watched Gasland? Or any other media regarding this cr@p. Why would you want to work in fracking? you might as well kill puppies or flowers for a living…

Waderider
    Free Member

We don’t need more hydrocarbons, thanks.

Humanity is mad and very wrongheaded.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wtf? have you watched Gasland? Or any other media regarding this cr@p. Why would you want to work in fracking? you might as well kill puppies or flowers for a living…

Gas.and – you mean the faked sensationalized movie about gas in water ?

piemonster

My parents Puppy kill flowers with wee.

Does that count.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Fracking jobs?’ is closed to new replies.