• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fox Vanilla 32 qr15 – User views? (Negs and positives)
  • hora
    Free Member

Any user views? Feel flex compared to other forks?

Do they get overwhelmed on rocky sections?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Yes. They burst into tears when it gets rocky.

What are you expecting? They are like QR Vanillas, but with a through axle.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Most people I know prefer 454 Pikes because they've got travel adjust and the 20mm through axle.

hora
    Free Member

My 454 Pikes are having a warranty-fix at the moment. Be interested to see user thoughts on how flexy the Vans are compared to the Pikes.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

32 Vans are more flexy than Pikes. They are also about half a pound lighter. For the weight of PIkes you can get 36's, and they are a much better tracking fork.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I reckon they are loads stiffer than normal QR ones, and I like the secure feel of a bolt through axle. Really impressed with my 140s. The only issue is getting hubs that fit at the right price.

auricgoldfinger

I've never noticed forks flex but there you go.

Anyway, I have a 2009 QR15 Vanilla, 2009 QR15 F120, and 2010 QR15 Float 140. They are all good. The Vanilla is nice and plush, and the QR15 holds the wheel in.

Forks flexing…all p!ss and wind if you ask me. TA gives more security than a QR IMO and that is why I favour it front and rear.

hora
    Free Member

auric Im over 100kgs though and front-heavy.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I had a set last year. Didn't last long! Came from pikes to them and wow what a difference…no where near as reassuring to have them. Went straight back to pikes. And im only 72kg.

shepleg
    Free Member

[Forks flexing…all p!ss and wind if you ask me.] +1
    What are you lot on about, get on your bike and ride.
    I know pros that use these and don't have any problems 😛

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I know pros that use these and don't have any problems

You mean the pros that get paid/get them free? If someone paid me to ride them i would say they are awesome too 🙄

hora
    Free Member

You mean the pros that get paid/get them free? If someone paid me to ride them i would say they are awesome too

Exactly. If a pro is offered a decent wage and given a set of Mazz forks hes hardly going to say 'they are ok but I prefer the Fox's on my bike at home if Im brutally honesy'..

Didnt (I MIGHT be wrong here) Peat once say he preferred his old GT to a certain bike he had?

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Fox Van 32 R's with the QR dropout in mid 2008 and they were great, buttery smooth, tracked well, easy to service and really fit and forget.

In about May last year I bought the QR15 lowers purely for wheel security and the one big difference I noticed was tracking. Imagine you're sweeping through a singletrack corner littered with rocks; with the QR dropouts the front wheel would deflect off the rocks. With the QR15 dropouts the wheel just holds a line.

I couldn't tell you how many suspension forks I've owned since 1996, but the Van 32's are easily the best. I'm a lightweight at around 70kg and these forks are fitted to the bike I use for aggressive riding which has included two weeks of DH abuse out in Whistler and they've never felt out of their depth or given me any cause for concern.

The only equivalent RS fork I've owned is a coil Pike 454. That was poorly damped, poorly made, a dead weight and a generally awful fork. A mate I ride with a lot had similar experiences with Pikes and they seemed to spend more time at TFT than on the bike. But everyone's experience varies as you can see above!

Personally I just like Fox forks, they're engineered for the job not manufactured to a price point like RS in my opinion.

hora
    Free Member

poorly damped- must agree with that. My 454 coil Pikes have gone back for warranty work and I couldn't find a sweetspot between over active or packing down.

coatesy
    Free Member

Negs-needs a 15mm hub, not a stiff as 20mm. Pos-stiffer than similar qr, quicker to use than qr(setting closing tension is automatic after initial set-up), more secure than qr.Wouldn't want standard skewers on any of my bikes after using them.

nickegg
    Free Member

After running 2009 Rev Maxle Dual Air for 6 months now, i'd rather have the 32 15QR VAN R i used to run.

The Maxle is stiff but alot heavier than the 32's. Although for a heavire chap perhaps Pikes/Revs are better?

edd

I've got 32 Vanillas with QR 15 and I love them. They plush with well controlled damping.

That said I've had 3 pairs of Fox Forx with normal QR and I'm not sure that the QR15 is much sfiffer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

hora – Member
    auric Im over 100kgs though and front-heavy.

Whats your cup size then big boy?? 😉

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I have to say i loved the fox damping, infact i run a 36 now and an f100 on the xc bike. Im not too bothered about the qr on the xc forks as the speeds and riding is differenet. Its just fox made such a bad move going to a 15mm not a 20mm axle. If you ride them hard you'll notice the difference.

hora
    Free Member

Must say Im wondering whether Pikes dampening really is supposed to feel that bad.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Maybe have a look at the new revelation. The blackbox damping is meant to be very good now, and the weight is down there with a fox 32. Not coil mind…have to say that would be my choice if i wanted a new 140mm fork…that or the '10 thor. Magura seem to have solved the diving problems of previous years.

hora
    Free Member

Blackboxed Revs and 10 Thors are in the same discounted price territory of Fox's though. 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fox Vanilla 32 qr15 – User views? (Negs and positives)’ is closed to new replies.