Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox Triad “stuck down”syndrome
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

Hi all, wondering if someone can shed some light.

My shock stuck down on Saturday, was left with about 1cm of travel. Also, the adjustor for lock out/ pro-pedal wouldn’t move. I carried on riding, and by the time I was back at the car, the shock wasn’t stuck down anymore, but it’s stuck on the full suspension setting. The adjustor just swings round freely with no settings. Also, the rebound setting doesn’t seem to work either. Lastly, I have noticed that the shock boot smells of something which isn’t GT 85, some other oil. My bike is an 06 FSR XC Spesh.

Anyone know what’s happened, and how I can fix it….? Hoping someone can help, it’s horrible having a broken bike 🙁

tinsy
    Free Member

My Septune and a mates 06 Triad did the same spookily at the same time, let the air out and unscrew the air can, put it back together after a good clean and applying lashings of shock oil or lube inside it and see how it goes. If that doesnt do it a service will sort it.

myth
    Free Member

There was an issue a couple of years ago when fox changed the seal supplier, and the seals in question dont cope well in cold. I would send it back to Mojo for a service [if its a fox shock that is!!]

crazy-legs

If it sticks down while out riding the trick is to pump it up HARD and it (might) come unstuck again, then let the pressure out to your preferred setting again.
    If you’re not happy taking the thing apart yourself send it back to either Mojo or TF Tuned for a service and a change of seals – I’d agree with what myth said above, it’s probably one of the older seals which doesn’t like the cold weather.

tinsy
    Free Member

I pumped mine to close on 300psi when it was stuck down, it was still stuck, after removing the air can and a lube both our stuck shocks are back working. But true enough, if your not confident of the air can removal just send it for a service.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks for your input all.

Tinsy, when your shock did the same thing, was the setting adjustor also rendered useless like mine is? If so, did taking it apart and cleaning / lubing fix that as well?

tinsy
    Free Member

I dont remember the settings thing being floppy, but it might have done, its really quite simple to remove the air can, its probably worth trying if your competent just to see if it works, or failing that remove the shock and take it to your LBS, they will remove the air can to check for you, once the shock is out its only a 2 min job to remove the air can and re lube it…

Another pal with a triad recently had all the oil leak out of the settings lever and that went floppy after that. (no avoiding service at this point)

The chances are you need it serviced, the air can removal and lube is just something simple to try and avoid or delay the £90 service. But eventually all things need a little TLC, if you havent had the air can off ever and the bike is an 06 then chances are its due that TLC about now.

waihiboy
    Free Member

annabananna this issue has been going on for years, i had it on my 05 stumpy with Triad shock.

if you go onto the mtbr.com forum and search there will be hundreds of threads on it.

it was all down to the seals fitted, they go brittle in the cold and cause the air to leak (or something like that)

Fox were ‘suppose’ to sort it out but looks like they havent.

It is well documented anyway. i took mine back to the shop, they sent the shock back to be fixed, it came back and it happened again, i ended up selling my bike as it was so frustrating.

best of luck.

Anna-B
    Free Member

OK, thanks a lot tinsy. I think there’s been an oil leak, if the non-GT85 smell on the shock boot is anything to go by. It’s never been serviced, so I think I need to face up to the £90. Times like these I wish I’d bought a hard-tail!

mrfrosty
    Free Member

IF its lost oil it will need a service.Dont know how old it is could poss you’d be warranty.”wish you’d bought a hardtail?”. full sus need more looking after and ride better end of.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox Triad “stuck down”syndrome’ is closed to new replies.