• This topic has 57 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Fox Transfer?
  • chestrockwell

Any user reviews of the new Fox dropper? It won the WMB group test and I’m the market for a new one so any feedback?

Northwind

This isn’t a review of the Fox but since swapping to a 170mm Reverb I reckon everything shorter is fighting for second place- as long as it fits in your bike, it’s just better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick. Having some issues with current droppers and been considering jumping ship.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philstone

I’ve been considering this for a while. I’ve been watching the US forums where they’re more available and there’s been a few people complaining about reliability (dropping 5-10mm in use) which is worrying…

tmb467
    Free Member

I’m waiting for longer-term reviews also. Covert Thomson is working fine now they’ve swapped the actuator but as a bike tart I like the idea of my suspension shafts/stanchions matching my seatpost

Mate has one fitted and reckons it’s great but he’s only had it a month or so – and I’m not so sure why one reliable dropper is any better than another reliable dropper unless you’re of the longer legged variety

zelak999
    Free Member

Bought and fitted the 31.9mm x 150mm drop version last week.
    Absolutely love it, its so smooth and not at all notchy.
    I bought the under bar lever and you can control the speed of return by varying the amount of lever pressure you apply.
    It has a nice thunk when it returns.
    So much better than my 9 month old reverb that it replaces.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mate has just fitted one, the clunk at the top is nice. Also looks nice with the kashima post, X2 and 36s.. No idea if it’s actually any good though

packer
    Free Member

I’m also in the market for a new one and weighing up between this one and the Thomson Covert… doesn’t seem to be much info about regarding either at the moment.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Liking mine so far, had mine since it became available at mojo, was holding out for the 9.8 but got bored!

bella
    Free Member

Had one for about 6 weeks. 3 weeks in Alps and K&Q at inners this weekend so a good amount of abuse for the time. Faultless throughout but most seen to be at first. I like the design but only time will tell. Like the top and bottom clunk. Fitting a doddle.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

same here, interested in the thoughts of folks, my under 1 year old reverb is buggered again, so its pretty crap and I’m not even arsed any more about it not being a hydraulic anymore as long as the cable doesn’t fail

chestrockwell

Thanks for the responses. Just got a frame with internal routing so time to change the Thomson. Think this might be the way to go. Pretty sure 170mm drop will be far too long so no need to worry about that.

wiggles
    Free Member

Sources from fox have told me the DOSS was tested as lasting 3x longer than a reverb in up/down lab tests. The transfer lasts much longer than the DOSS in the same test.

Not full proof of real world conditions bit sounds good to me. Feel great too, faster than a reverb and very solid top out

rondo101
    Free Member

Just waiting for Mojo to get stock to my LBS. They’ve been pretty popular from what they’ve (my LBS, not mojo) told me.

pigyn
    Free Member

We have been selling them since release and seem great. Setup is easy although I can do a Reverb a bit quicker. Feels lovely to use with nice light action, really helps avoid ‘reverb thumb’. £100 cheaper than a Reverb although prices have just gone up a little.
    The base post is a little longer size for size than reverbs BUT unlike RS Fox supply a really nice guide for figuring out what post fits your frame, just google fox transfer size guide or summit.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I bought one for my new build direct from Mojo.

£299, non Kashima and including a 1x Remote.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello, i have the standard black one, works well, solid clunk on return to extended, make sure that the seatpost clamp is not too tight around the post tho. imo a nice bit of kit that hopefully will not be sent back to be fixed on a regular basis.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How are these transfer posts holding up?

philstone

Mine was one of the first from TFTuned. No problems at all so far.. very happy with it.

elgato
    Free Member

Just installed my transfer with a wolftooth remote with the adaptor for my shimano m8000. Hopefully this is as reliable as my stealth reverb. I was sold on the fact wolftooth uses a bearing for the lever action, unlike other remotes. Haven’t ridden it yet, too much rain in the Bay area.

zelak999
    Free Member

Mine was one of the first too, still pleased with it so far.
    Do need to put a bit of slick honey or fork juice every other ride to keep it smooooth.

tom.nash

Bloody brilliant so far (three months).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

How is everyones transfer holding up?

Mines is now 6 months old, the side to side play has got a bit worse i can kinda feel it now when riding, but mojo want it back as they can remove the play back to how it was from new

Anyone elses done this? Mines had 6 months solid use, but never failrd go up or down and no sagging its great bit of kit

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone else?

Gotama
    Free Member

Mine is still solid, also coming on for 6 months old and used every weekend irrespective of the weather. I’m c.100kg and a regular reverb destroyer; very impressed so far. Haven’t got any of the side to side play issues that you speak of.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting, there should be a bit of play side to side so I’m told by mojo , its the nature of the build of it (if you move the saddle side to side via the tip of your saddle)

mines has got some noticeable play and a bit of knocking, not been noticeable at all when riding in all fairness, but its now started to be felt when seated climbing which is the only reason I’m acting on it

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand spanking new one and it does have a little bit of side to side turn and knock in the saddle and post. I spotted it when I picked it up and tried some others in the shop on other bikes and they were all the same.

Seems to be normal and I can’t say I noticed when out on a ride, then again I’m really rad and never sit down 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting! have a look at this vid for me is it the same as this yours?

maybe it is totally normal then, in which case its pointless sending in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Heds6UHfGg

youll have to have sound up to hear the knock

excitable1
    Free Member

I reckon that’s about the same as mine. I can make it knock using the seat as opposed to the post itself, it’s no more than a millimeter of movement either side. I think the hand in the video is moving more than the post itself if you watch the ‘fox transfer’ writing.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool, interesting though as I don’t remember it having this knock from new (6 months old)

its probs moving around 2-3mm I reckon, maybe a touch less, but there abouts, but its had play from new, its the noise I don’t remember (the knock)

well ill see how It goes then, if its seeming quite normal from new then I guess mines hasn’t got really bad 6 months on

must add its spot on, no sag on the post, stays solid, always goes up and down, never misses a beat even with a cable cable getting soaked and filthy every ride

ps whats the new bike then?!?! I’m gonna go balls out and say a orange 29er 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Oh sorry, yeah, it has a very small amount of play and has done from new, possibly not as much as in that vid. More a very little wiggle if I twist the saddle. I thought you implied you were getting on for half an inch or so. 🙂 I don’t think I’ve ever had a dropper which is rock solid so just assumed that was the way they are. Never noticed it whilst riding. I can check the play tonight if you want?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Oh sorry, yeah, it has a very small amount of play and has done from new, possibly not as much as in that vid. More a very little wiggle if I twist the saddle. I thought you implied you were getting on for half an inch or so. I don’t think I’ve ever had a dropper which is rock solid so just assumed that was the way they are. Never noticed it whilst riding. I can check the play tonight if you want?

as from vid I can move side to side with mine by holding the stanchion, if you wouldn’t mind checking that would be great see if you can wiggle it side to side via the kashima itself, see how many others are like mine

only reason I did notice it, was for the first time riding on Tuesday night, it felt like it was wiggling sometimes seated climbing, id not even touched the post in terms of checking side to side play/knocking noise before (apart from new) as its been faultless till I felt the wiggle, that’s when I thought ill just have a feel of the post

excitable1
    Free Member

The ‘knock’ is definitely normal, all of them in the shop were doing that. The shop owner said he’s not had one Transfer back with a fault or complaint and obviously can’t say the same for Reverbs.

orange 29er

Nah, I can’t do 29ers… keep guessing 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool cheers for the info, sounds fairly normal then, will keep an eye on it then, yeh they are pretty much faultless, ive not heard of one breaking either, not a single one so far, I thought I was about to break the mold 😆

hmmm interesting! its obviously pretty pimp if its got a transfer on it from stock!

orbea? yt industries? giant?

excitable1
    Free Member

hmmm interesting! its obviously pretty pimp if its got a transfer on it from stock!

I think most bikes are coming with either a KS Lev or Transfer now, given the malfunction rate of the Reverbs.

It’s a bit of a red herring this one mate (very red !!!) 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

excitable1 – Member 

I think most bikes are coming with either a KS Lev or Transfer now, given the malfunction rate of the Reverbs.
    It’s a bit of a red herring this one mate (very red !!!)

😆 whoooooooooooosh (over my head), I’m lost :mrgreen:

I’m guessing its red though right!? 😆

EDIT : intense?!?!

excitable1
    Free Member

OK, ok… the Transfer was needed to go into a warranty replaced frame for the white Solo, I now have a Postman Pat coloured 5010. It’s red as Mr Red that won the most red competition for the third red year running in the town of Redsville.

As for the Bronson… not sold it yet so I haven’t replaced it, but when I do it won’t be SC and it won’t be red if I stick with what I’m currently thinking (although it can come in red too) 😆

I’ll check my knocking post again later on.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahhh gotcha! nice on the warranty replacement then, sounds good! like that red solo

I thought youd already purchased one, and selling the Bronson after, so red herring indeed as well as a red new frame! double red herring!

sounds good yeah let us know laters see if it compares to the sound I’m getting cheers 🙂

excitable1
    Free Member

I thought youd already purchased one, and selling the Bronson after, so red herring indeed as well as a red new frame! double red herring!

I’m not allowed to buy the new bike before I’ve sold the Bronson 😥 , and I’m pretty sorted on everything I need for the new bike…. so if you know anyone who wants a top spec’d Bronson (it’s on the Classifieds here, and on Pinkbike and ebay), but you know where I am.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ha women eh?! Always got to control us and have the final say!

Sure it will sell it still looks good in the photo, might just take a bit but with having enves etc someone will bite

I dont know of anyone but will keep ears open

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Fox Transfer?’ is closed to new replies.