• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cp.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox TALAS self-adjust issues
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

Iona's 36 TALAS fork started having some issues today. She sets the travel to maximum at the start of a descent and it's back to minimum by the bottom.

Anyone else had this issue? Easy fix? Haven't even looked at it yet!

busydog
    Free Member

I had issues with a Talas not holding a shorter travel setting and reverting to the longer travel. The LBS messed with a while and finally sent it in to Fox and they did a repair–replaced some of the inner works, but don't recall exactly what. It was no longer under warranty and I recall it cost me a couple hundred dollars/US.

br
    Free Member

How old are they, or how long since a service?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    firestarter
    Free Member

I had this on mine I swapped seals foam rings and fluids and it sorted it out

cp

have it on my 32's. Mojo said it's usually an internal seal issue, so I replaced all the o-rings and shaft seals using the Fox kit. It's better, but it still does it – it just takes longer to drop the travel from 140-120, and then stays at 120 – it doesn't quite 'self adjust' to 100mm. I'm going to pull them apart again.

The ball bearing/spring arrangement which indexes the lever into the individual positions is worn on mine which might affect it (it still clicks, just not as positively – you can see a groove worn where the ball runs).

LoCo
    Free Member

It's caused by the seals inside he Talas system allowing air past and causing fork to sink or rise depending on which way they're letting the air through.
    Internal scratches can also cause this problem.
    Mail in profile for services.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Thanks all!

They're pretty new, but have now done half a season of alpine guiding, so probably a couple of year's use for most people! 😀

Will order a service kit and do seals/foam rings/oil change and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Stevo

cp

the outer dust seals will make no difference – unless you're lucky enough to disturb something when draining and re-filling with oil which sorts it – it's the internal o-rings & wiper seals you need to replace…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox TALAS self-adjust issues’ is closed to new replies.