• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fox Talas beaks in two after small 2 ft jump.
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Deep breath – peddle – boost – crash.

Oh dear my fork has a clean break half way down the stearing tube and I am on the floor.

How usual / unusual is this.

Share your thoughts and any critical failures you have had on the bike.

DC

vorlich
    Free Member

PICS!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pics or it did’nt happen.
    Though I suppose it’s better than another JRA.An impact like that is rarely the route cause of a failure (unless you’re the Hulk),just the final act!
    Ask TiPinMan about his Pace Rc31’s giving up the ghost (long corroded steerer)….at about 30mph.And how much his dental work cost 😯

Ambrose

Ouch! Pics?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The jump/landing won’t have done it, only finished it off – corrosion or a crack or fatigue or something.

pics?

darkcyan
    Free Member

pics to follow.

Didn’t bother me too much at the time – now it has spooked me a bit.

DC

wonnyj
    Free Member

2 foot kerb?

wwaswas

chris king headset?

dave360

How many inches in a small foot?

Paceman
    Free Member

Pics or it did’nt happen.

It happened, I witnessed it.

chris king headset?

Chris King Headset with their adaptor to run standard a 1 1/8th steerer in a tapered head tube.

2 foot kerb?

One of the larger log jumps in Stanmer Woods, Brighton.

Freak equipment failure, got me a bit spooked too 😯

honourablegeorge

I’ve heard stories of Fox forks beaking, it’s usually caused by a quack in the steerer tube.

bigyinn
    Free Member

When I read this yesterday, the first thing I thought was CK headset.
    Can you post a pic of the steerer and where it failed please?

woody2000

caused by a quack in the steerer tube.

And usually followed by a large bill.

IGMC 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Why would it be more likely to break with a CK headset?

I’ve got a CK headset with a Talas 32 fork and it’s performed faultlessly with no steerer wear.

logical
    Free Member

You have cows in your forks?

DanW
    Free Member

What’s the deal with all this CK talk? Fingers crossed it is just Mojo’s lame excuse for failures rather than an actual cause 😉

wwaswas

CK headsets (old style ones) have a reputation for causing this sort of damage to steerers;

almost exactly what a pipe cutter would do.

LoCo
    Free Member

Seen that on a few forks, however having run probably 6 CK headset (old and new style) on about 10 different frames and about 15 sets of different forks, I’ve never had any issues with them marking on the steerer tube, although they are stripped cleaned and regreased (not the bearing races though)on a fairly regular basis.

davosaurusrex

Had a set of Manitou 3 forks snap (both stanchions just under the crown, not uncommon apparently) when landing a jump 17 years ago(christ, I’m old). Put myself in hospital for a few days and still have the scars to show. Manitou’s insurers paid me £7k though, spent half of it on a new Turner.

LoCo
    Free Member

Just to clarify I’ve seen a few of those circular ‘witness’ marks, not broken steerers

DanW
    Free Member

Wow! Can’t believe I have never come across that before. Another reason to keep checking everything regularly!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fox Talas beaks in two after small 2 ft jump.’ is closed to new replies.