Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fox RP23 oil change.Possible?
  • joeegg
    Free Member

Anyone know if its possible to change the oil yourself while you're doing an air can service on a RP23.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i want to learn to open mine up so i know how to service it my self lol

joeegg
    Free Member

MBUK,isn't that a kiddies mag?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don't think you can do either yourself, kiddies!

mudmonster
    Free Member

Think you can only service the air spring. The damper is nitrogen charged and dangerous to tamper with.

joeegg
    Free Member

A simple yes or no would do!

mudmonster
    Free Member

no

joeegg
    Free Member

Thanks mudmonster.Can't find any info on internet about oil change so maybe its not possible.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

possible, but requires lots of expensive kit so unless you plan on doing 100's of shocks, MOJO/TFT will be cheaper.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I remember seeing a link on here to a Russian site where someone had managed it. Was just a matter of pressurising and replacing the seal on the floating piston correctly. Don't have a link though.
    They did just charge it with air and not nitrogen but I get a feeling that that isn't as important as it's made out to be. After all, the RS Monarch shocks are only air charged.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I know how to do it, but havnt done it as yet. Changed oil on dhx's and the basic principle isnt any difference. Big difference is that dhx's have a schrader valve to pump air into, fox air shocks dont. They use a rubber pellet compressed with a grub screw..the russian guy managed to make some needle device fitted to a shock pump to mimic the fox nitro charging tool.
    Air would be fine instead of nitro…the water content in air is the reason they use nitro, so a nice dry day and you'll be fine. Pressue wise fox upped the pressure from 300psi to 400-500psi a few years ago as they had problems with larger riders bottoming too easily…300psi (normal shock pump pressue) wouldnt be a problem unless you're heavier than ~14st and ride hard.
    Only reason i havnt tried it yet is my shock isnt in need of a service…if it was i would have a bash and if it failed/poor performance then i would send it off…would be no more expensive for the service.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fox RP23 oil change.Possible?’ is closed to new replies.