Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fox rp23 just serviced leaking oil , but not air ??
  • jimr80
    Free Member

As the title really. I have just done a seal service on my rear shock, which i have done on a few occassions now. However this time after riding there seem to bit a fair bit of oil residue on the shaft of the shock. It seems to be holding air ,
    i have re-opened the shock and checked the seals are all ok and all seems ok, but on riding the oil re-appeared. Any ideas whats going on?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

excess oil trapped on the dust wiper seals? ride it, wipe it off, and see if it continues to appear once youve got rid off the excess.

rs
    Free Member

Any ideas whats going on?

think there might be oil coming from somewhere 😛

nuke

After servicing my RP23s or my RS/Fox forks, I always get a bit of oil around stanchions/shaft…few rides and it goes. Always assumed its normal (Get it with new forks as well) and there has never been any problems as a result.

jimr80
    Free Member

maybe i,ve struck oil.
    will i get rich??

Konastoner
    Free Member

Jimr80 it’s quite common, I would worry about it. Think about it, if oil can pass from the positive chamber to the negative chamber then so can air – you would have ended up with a “Stuck Down” shock very quickly.

As Munque-Chick says, just a bit of oil on the seal, just keep it clean.

anto164
    Free Member

What they do when they fit the new air seal, is coat everything in float fluid. What you probably have is the excess float fluid leaving weep marks on the shocks shaft. It’s perfectly fine. Don’t worry and rag the bones out it!

jimr80
    Free Member

I went out and “ragged it” last night while racing and the end result is as shown.
    Is that normal ??

Jeffus
    Free Member

You seem to have a scratch on the shaft that won’t help I don’t think.

jimr80
    Free Member

The scratch has been filled out with nail polish and rubbed back down so it can’t be felt out all, which is the standard STW format. It also never leaked oil previuos to the service and the scratch was already there.

nuke

Thats looks a lot more oil than just the regular oil remnants after a seal service. Think it’s time to consider contacting Loco

robhughes
    Free Member

What did you put inside instead of float fluid….
    Crude oil perhaps 😉

jimr80
    Free Member

Only float fluid.
    The Crude oil is resevred for the bedroom 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

Hahahah….like it…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fox rp23 just serviced leaking oil , but not air ??’ is closed to new replies.