Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox RP2 v RP23 which is best?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Continuing saga of choosing a new bike!

Now narrowed it down to 2011 Giant Anthem X1 or X2.

The differences really come down to the rear shock with the X1 coming with an RP23 and the X2 coming with an RP2.

The X2 is £500 cheaper than the X1, but there are other subtle differences in kit, but its only really the shock at this stage which is possibly stopping me just getting the X2.

Would I really notice the difference in ride on an RP23 as opposed to the X1?

Ta

timmys

I thought the only difference is;
    RP2 = pro pedal either on or off
    RP23 = pro pedal level 1, 2, or 3 or off

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Differences? In use, not much if anything at all. I’ve had both and I can’t tell them apart, put it that way.
    The only real difference is the 3 levels of Propedal on the RP23, but in all the time I had mine (On a Yeti 575) I left it in the middle setting and flicked it on and off, only using the firm setting for one week of the Transwales as there was a lot of climbing.
    The 23 would be more useful if you could flick between the 3 settings whilst riding, but as you can’t, you dont!
    An RP2 has one Propedal setting, so you just use that, on and off. End of story really 🙂

TheFlyingOx

There’s only £100 or so difference between a RP2 and a RP23 if you were buying one on its own.

My own opinion is that a bike needing 3 different levels of propedal would suggest a poorly thought out suspension design.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thats really helpful thanks, I cant really see myself bending down to alter the shock setting from 1,2,3 dependant on the terrain Im climbing, as you say you might at the bottom of a climb switch from off to on but couldnt be bothered faffing changing different positions on a climb!

So looks like saving £500 from an X1 to X2 is worth it if I can live with Avid Elixir R brakes and a slightly poorer wheelset…but a better paint job.

z1ppy

The only difference is the ability to change the Pro-pedal setting between 3 setting on the RP23, on the RP2 you either have Pro-pedal on or off. The choice between Pro-pedal settings is nice, but once set I’ve never changed it (3 bikes with RP23’s) & definitely not whilst out riding (after the inital testing & setup).

Personnally just quickly looking at the spec differences: shock, drive train and wheels. I’m not convinced the extra £500 of the X1 is worthwhile, to me anyway.

stevepitch
    Free Member

I’m running a specialized pitch which has a similar’ish design and have just upgraded to a RP23 and tbh an RP2 would be just as good. I have played with the propedal settings and while its nice as I can alter the amount of effect I’m finding I’m leaving it on setting 2 and just flicking it on or off.

And def reckon the X2 as the paint job is a lot better 😀

flow
    Free Member

An RP2 will have a permanent platform (pro-pedal/compression), whereas the RP23 gives you the option of running pro pedal or the shock fully open.

LoCo
    Free Member

Same internals different adjusters to give more or less user adjustable settings, the RP2 is on or off RP23 on or off with the 3 soft,med., hard p.p option in the on position.
    2012 RP23 adaptive logic is Full (3) propedal when on and gives the option of off, 1 or 2 settings with lever in other position.

flow
    Free Member

What he said, I was thinking of the Float R

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox RP2 v RP23 which is best?’ is closed to new replies.