Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox RP2 newbie seeking: tips, set-up hints, TLC and workshop wisdom please!
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I finally took my newly built-up 2007 Giant Anthem2 for its inaugural spin over the Peak yesterday. Having been exclusively a hardtail user since day Zero, I can say that it was generally a pretty odd experience. Fun though!

I seem to have figured out this:

1) At an 80kg personal riding weight, the shock seems to need pumping up to 250psi (out of a possible 300), in order to stop the back end feeling too wallowy

2) I have the rebound damping set to zero, in order to stop the back end feeling too wallowy.

3) I leave the ProPedal dialled to maximum for *most* riding situations, in order to stop the back end feeling too wallowy.

4) Switching the ProPedal to minimum only for steep rocky, steppy situations (e.g. UP and down Jacobs Ladder) seems to make things a LOT easier generally.

Am I doing this all right, or just missing my hardtail waaay too much? Is there another approach I could try?

Finally – do you have any tips for post-ride cleaning, re-lubing and general TLC of the shock?

Cheers! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right. It seems you’re trying to make the bike feel like a hardtail, which is what a lot of people do (I did) at first. A FS bike WILL feel wallowy at first, it took me 6-7 rides to get used to my first one, and to change my riding style to match the qualities of the bike (Sit down more, basically)

Set the sag according to what the manufacturer says (Usually around 20-25%) and then start with the rebound in the middle of the adjustment. If it feels harsh or bouncy, add a bit more (Slow it down) if it feels wallowy or unreacive, take a bit off. Go one click at a time. Note the difference, adjust again if necessary…..

The shock needs only cleaning the same as the rest of your bike and an aircan service (Easy DIY) a couple of times a year and the occasional full service by Mojo or TFTuned (Expensive but worth it)

kamina
    Free Member

That pressure sounds way too high for your weight. If you have to run rebound at fastest (and the other settings) it could be that teh shock has an incorrect tune.

Generally Fox air shocks have a few factory tunes depending on the bike it will be used for. The actual adjustment range is limited quite severly, so if you put the shock on a different kind of frame you might be completely off.

In your description it sounds like the rebound tune is too damped, and the compression tune is too low. Also propedal might be too light.

Or then you need a hardtail 😀

Tftuned would sort that out pretty easily…

retro83
    Free Member

Maybe it’s on its way to becoming a stuck down shock (air has migrated to the neg chamber). That pressure sounds very high.

Not sure what ratio that bike has but my Pace RC405 needs only 150 PSI in the shock, and I’m a fatto (90kg+).

What sag % are you getting?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That pressure sounds way too high for your weight. If you have to run rebound at fastest (and the other settings) it could be that teh shock has an incorrect tune.

Very unlikely, unless he bought the frame and shock seperately. I purposefully didn’t mention that because it’s best to keep things simple at first! 🙂

He’s just new to FS and needs to set it correctly and get used to a new feeling and a new way of riding…. 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice!

I’m probably getting about 10% sag as it is set currently (c. 3mm. How do you find out the total shock travel??)

More information: The frame and shock were bought together off eBay about 18 months ago. Although secondhand, they were pretty much unused. Since then they have sat upright in the loft, as I was out of the country. The shock appears to run through all of its travel ok – if I let all the air out it. And it seems to move ok with the air in… It certainly doesn’t seem stuck down.

But it doesn’t seem to feel quite as ‘springy’ as the Giant Anthem I originally demoed in 2007…

…then again, memories are funny things 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

An aircan service will freshen it up if it’s that old. I doubt there’s anyhting at all wrong with it though. 🙂

anjs
    Free Member

Well let some air out and run 25-30 % sag and see

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi have a look at my setup guide:

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

any problems queries feel free to give me a call at the workshop, I also offer full servicing and tuning now.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sweet… Cheers! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox RP2 newbie seeking: tips, set-up hints, TLC and workshop wisdom please!’ is closed to new replies.