Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fox Rear Shock Service – Who to go to?
  • jonnyclaridge
    Free Member

I have a fox float rp23 – who is currenly regarded as the best place to send it to for a service?

Cheers Guys
    Jon

bigjim

I’ve always used Loco Tuning.

I need to send mine off really but as I can do the air sleeve bit myself kind of wondering if I’ll notice any difference with a full service!

transition1
    Free Member

Southcoast Suspension.

excellent service & quick turnaround

jim25

I used loco last week for my remedy rp2. Sent it Monday evening and received it back Friday afternoon fresh and smooth.

zippykona

I’ve just sent mine to south coast so good to hear positives.
    Previously used Loco as he’s always happy to advise on here.
    TF for premium customer service.

superfli
    Free Member

Just sent my RP23 to TF for a push service seeing as I’d not touched it (apart from making my own volume reducer+installing when I got it) since I got the frame (2011) and it was 2 years old already. It was squelching a lot, but worked fine and squelching stopped when it was warmed.
    Got a call from TF to say the can was scored and should be replaced at an extra £62. I assumed this was the piston, so thought best I change it considering the treat I was giving it.
    Shock serviced and delivered very promptly.
    The replacement was the outer sleeve, which I’m a little confused how this could have affected the performance much. As for the riding, well I have only ridden it once on my local trails and I cant say I notice any difference at all (doesnt squelch though)!

Cost me £212….I think my 5p/30min shim mod made the same difference TBH. I suppose time may prove me wrong, well I hope it does. I’m very skeptical (and tight!) about throwing money at what should already be a good product.

zerocool

Always used TF Tuned and never been disappointed

jolmes
    Free Member

Has mine sent to TF Tuned for PUSH tuning and replacing the body as it was marked slightly – causing muck and debris to get inside the air can 🙁 was making a massive squelching sound when hitting the bigger stuff. Anyway, fantastic customer service both from their technician (who phoned whilst working on the shock) and their lady on front of house. Went for the PUSHima body as they had no Kashima in stock, wasn’t disappointed 🙂

devash
    Free Member

I got mine done by J-Tech and it worked out cheaper than the others. Very happy with the work and my bike feels spot on.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just done the self-service seal-change myself. Was astounded how simple it was. Bit a pain paying £17 for the seal set, when they say on the video on youtube how they only cost $7…

ChrisI

Have used Mojo in the past but just odered a new Float X PUSHed from TF Tuned and they have been very quick. Ordered on Thurs last week and they posted it out Friday (having done a PUSH tune on it). Very efficient, I’ll see if its made any difference tonight!

andypandy85
    Free Member

J-Tech are superb, and well priced. Got my forks and shock serviced, sent them on Tuesday afternoon, got them back on Thursday afternoon. They both feel infinitely better than before they were done, and they’re set up perfectly for my bike/weight. Great communication, no issues whatsoever!

jonnyclaridge
    Free Member

Cheers guys, very sceptical about whether its worth it, but I know it needs doing 🙁

pugster007
    Free Member

Positive thing about TFTuned is that you know when you are getting your shock / forks back (unless it is really fu barred).
    Book it in for a Tuesday, send it Mon, get it back Weds – Simple as peas.

I’ll be using J-Tech next time I need something doing, simply for the fact that James answered my questions about my Vengeance forks promptly, despite me not being a customer.

kedmun
    Free Member

Cost me £212…

😮

I don’t get the whole full service thing for some of these shocks – isn’t a brand new RP23 or even RP2 less than £150? And a simple oil change and clean, change the seals is easy enough to do by yourself…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t get the whole full service thing for some of these shocks – isn’t a brand new RP23 or even RP2 less than £150?

Er, no. Fox Float’s start from £285 retail, for the Evo non Kashima model, and go up to £500+ for the X model.

Occasionally you get CRC or others having some OE stock that they sell cheaper.

As for the expensive service, it sounds like it’s almost a new shock, with lots of replacement bits inside.

kedmun
    Free Member

I can understand why you’d want to do it for a 500£ shock, but there definitely looks to be a lot of places selling RP2/RP23 with big discounts.

I’d worry that after shelling out a huge whack for a service I wouldn’t notice a difference! Although I’m sure a lot of it comes down to prolonging the life, I keep it clean enough myself.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Of course, however for the most part, they are obscure sized shocks that don’t fit the majority of bikes. Occasionally people get lucky and find something, and the popular sizes shift quickly, so you have to be quick, or lucky.

Chances are being OE it will have a tune that’s not right for your bike too, so may end up having to send it off for some love anyway.

Believe me, I’ve tried to pick up a decent shock in a common size recently, rather than shell out the £80 to get it serviced (which it needs, as it’s squelchy, and has a dead spot at the top of its travel), but no such luck…

Yetiman
    Free Member

Bear in mind he also had the shock PUSH tuned, which is £50 over and above the standard £93 service, so he basically has a new shock tuned to his weight and riding style, which in my experience of tuned shocks is worth every single penny.

scruff
    Free Member

I bought a Kashima Float off CRC for £180, decided what was wrong with it and sent to Loco who fettled & tuned it and its now superb.

scruff9252

This PUSH’d nonsense, what’s that then? I have a RP2(3?) and the pro pedal doesn’t do much, I think it is on the lightest lockout setting.

If I were to get the shocked pushed, would that mean the lock out actually locked out, get less peddle bob and be able to climb easier / give out of sadle efforts?

superfli
    Free Member

Kedmun, the £212 was a full service, PUSH tune and also a £62 replacement sleeve. Turn around and CS from TF was spot on, very quick and gave me a ring telling me whats up before replacing, so all my choice and I knew the costs.
    Whether it was worth it, I’m unsure. I suppose it should be better than brand new.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

If I were to get the shocked pushed, would that mean the lock out actually locked out, get less peddle bob and be able to climb easier / give out of sadle efforts?

That sounds like the sort of thing that’s more in the range of an ordinary service or mild amount of custom tuning. Having the shock Pushed usually means that a substantial amount of the internals are replaced with different spec parts, specifically things like replacing the main piston with one with larger ports and then adding shims in order to allow the shock to have both more low speed damping and better absorption of big hits.
    Edit: If you are happy with the way your shock works when descending but feel it lacks when climbing you probably aren’t the target market for a Push tune which is more likely to emphasise descending performance.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fox Rear Shock Service – Who to go to?’ is closed to new replies.