Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fox open bath fork oil?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

I am servicing some 2009 open bath Fox forks which require Fox 10wt green oil in both legs. Ideally I need to get the bike working by tomorrow so not really time to order the real stuff.

I have spent some time trying to track down alternative oils but not much luck.

I already have 5wt and 15wt oil. The rider is very light so was wondering if it would be sensible to change the 10wt in the damper side for 7.5wt from a local shop? Also, can I then just stick the 15wt in the air side lower instead of 10wt? (That is what I used on my Revelations)

Thanks!

lornholio
    Free Member

Fox 10wt is more like other brands’ 15wt. Find cst tables online to check for suitable alternatives. I used 15wt Motorex in my old Fox 36 O/B R.

legend
    Free Member

Get yourself to a decent motorbike shop, they’ll have every weight you could need. My personal go to is my local Ducati dealer, but loads of them keep a decent stock of oils

EDIT: alright Lorno, didn’t realise you were on here. Mark P

ichabod
    Free Member

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Says the 10wt green is 47cSt so Ill have a look for something similar. I guess the damper side oil needs to do two jobs – damping plus lubrication of legs – I was just wondering if there are any other properties of the oil which I need to take into account? Also, any ideas on if using lighter oil for a lighter rider is a good idea?

Northwind

Fox green is Torco RSF medium weight IIRC- but Torco aren’t that common a brand in the UK, might be worth a quick call to local motorbike places?

ichabod
    Free Member

My local shop only has Rock Oil SVI so looks like I would need the 15wt:

http://www.utmracing.com/?page_id=649

On realted note. I took the air top cap off the fork this morning to replace the 5ml of Float fluid that is supposed to be in the chamber. To my suprise there was at least 30ml of fluid in there! I’m guessing this is not correct and that perhaps the lower leg bath fluid has leeked through into the air cartridge? The fluid was green/blue so not like pure blue float fluid. If so I guess I’ll need new seals?

Cheers!

lornholio
    Free Member

Oil migration was common in old Floats/etc. The next time you take them apart remove the foam ring from the air piston. Even better, replace it with the specific rubber scraper seal (available from Mojo).

ichabod
    Free Member

Ah thanks for the tip – just found this huge thread also: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/bath-oil-migrating-top-air-piston-734912.html

honourablegeorge

ichabod – Member
    My local shop only has Rock Oil SVI so looks like I would need the 15wt:

http://www.utmracing.com/?page_id=649

On realted note. I took the air top cap off the fork this morning to replace the 5ml of Float fluid that is supposed to be in the chamber. To my suprise there was at least 30ml of fluid in there! I’m guessing this is not correct and that perhaps the lower leg bath fluid has leeked through into the air cartridge? The fluid was green/blue so not like pure blue float fluid. If so I guess I’ll need new seals?

Wouldn’t be uncommon for folks to add a splash of oil into the air spring to try to get a similar effect to a volume spacer, could also be that.

ichabod
    Free Member

Thanks for the help! – I’ve emptied the oil back into the lowers for now and ordered a couple of scraper rings from Mojo..

sytyxy
    Free Member

After reading a bit on mtbr about the subject i put liqui moly atf 1100 in my fox float 2012 as bath oil. From my experience till now it really is a good substitution for fork oil. Much more common than some specific fork oil, too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fox open bath fork oil?’ is closed to new replies.