Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox Oil volume oddness
  • chillidave
    Free Member

I’m doing the wiper seal change on some 2010 F series 100rl forks. Changed the seals, foam rings and put it back together ok enough.

The final stage filling with oil I followed this page: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/010/eng/Content/Oil_Volumes.html

Which suggests 155mm of oil on the damper side (this is a non FIT model). This seems like a ridiculous amount and when adding this much oil the fork overflowed with oil. Surely this can’t be right? It feels really heavy now and I can’t imagine there should be quite this much in there.

Help!

darrenm
    Free Member

Where did you pour the oil? Reading the table the 155mm should go in the top of the damper side. Have you tried to pour it into the lowers? The table doesn’t mention any in the lowers on the damper side. I’m no expert though.

edd

Your fork is “open bath” so 155ml is required as it fills the damper…

EDIT: Doesn’t matter whether you fill the fork from the top or the bottom (damper side) but you will need to cycle it several times to get the damper to take in enough oil to function.

legend
    Free Member

155mm or 155ml? If it’s mm you should be measuring the oil height not the volume

chillidave
    Free Member

Cheers Darren I think you may have spotted my stupidity there but I can’t imagine that there is no oil whatsoever on that side. Certainly when I emptied the old one plenty of oil flowed out. Cheers.

neninja
    Free Member

It suggested 155ml in the damper unit – you only put 20ml in the oil bath on that side. I’m doubting you’ll have opened the damper unit to do a seal service, so you only need to replace the oil in the oil bath and air spring.

Empty it and put 20 ml in the damper side fork leg.

Wibble89
    Free Member

He says NON FIT, so open bath

Empty it and put 20 ml in the damper side fork leg.

isnt going to work well is it. As above if you are adding it through the lowers you may need to add a little at a time and cycle the damper, or you can add it to the top in one go. As its open bath the damping oil is also the lowers/lubing oil.

Dancake
    Free Member

I use a large syringe and 155ml goes in through the lowers no problem.
    I usually stick about 30ml in the lowers on the air side

You are not trying to stick 155ml on top of the air spring are you? You only put 5ml of 80-90 synthetic gear oil (float fluid) in there

You must also make sure you emptied the damper of the old oil when you stripped it because there will be some trapped in there

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox Oil volume oddness’ is closed to new replies.