Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox low friction seals
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Just serviced my 2007 fox forks and used the new low friction seals. Fork felt good but after a few rides I’ve noticed some oil is leaking past the seals – is this normal as it didn’t happen before with the old standard seals?

Any advice would be great as going on a biking holiday in 2 weeks!

watsontony
    Free Member

some is normal loads aint….. depends how much? maybe the low friction seals work by allowing more lubrication? maybe i dont know? i would leave my bike upside down and see if any oil puddles come onto the floor

MRanger156
    Free Member

Leaking a bit, not loads but didn’t expect this from new seals.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Bump for the morning people!

failedengineer

I fit some about 6 months ago and not a drop has escaped. Did you nick them or distort them when you ‘tapped’ them in?

zilog6128

yep same as above ^^^ fitted them last year, zero leakage

creamegg
    Free Member

I contacted mojo about this and they said thats how its meant to be. (obviously not meant to leak if your bike’s upside down but oil on the stanchion after use is normal)

edit: heres the email response from Mojo…

“What your experiencing is normal, we often find after doing dust wiper seal maintenance that the Float fluid will show on the stanchions, this is what the dust wiper seal is designed to do; keep the dirt from getting in to the lowers and effecting the internals. It is important to stay on top of thew maintenance after every 15 hours of use. We recommend using the 10wt green suspension fluid available here – http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Fox_Fluids.html.”

Trimix
    Free Member

See, its fine, just top it up every 15 hours.

Which for me would be about once every week or two.

To be honest I find doing them once every couple of months works – there is still some oil in the legs, but not as much as when I did the last service.

creamegg
    Free Member

I never do mine every 15 hours. Once or twice a year at most and i ride 3 or 4 times a week.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

IMO and IME there shouldn’t be anything more than the finest trace of oil on the stanchions. If you’re noticing an actual build up of oil which you could wipe off with a rag and then see a lump of it on the rag once you take it away then there is something wrong.

Have you looked around the whole circumference of both seals to make sure the edge is not nicked or folded over? It’s quite easy to damage the seal when refitting the lowers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox low friction seals’ is closed to new replies.