Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fox Forks off 26" (will they fit a 650b)
  • astura
    Free Member

I have just bought a 650b frame, fully intend to buy the 27.5 wheels and forks to suit..however,, I took my fox 32 160mm (actually thought they were 140mm but there not :))off my bike with the intention of selling them to purchase either some 650b Pikes or 34`s ..but would a 650b wheel fit in the fox fork and be safe? iv seen a few pictures on google and depending on tyre it looks close just wondering if anybody is riding it can advise?

schmiken

That’s what I do. As long as you run XCish tyres (2.25 Schwalbe Rons and Ralphs fit fine) you shouldn’t have a problem. Can’t see 2.3 or 2.4s fitting well.

astura
    Free Member

yeh I have some ralphs, just curious, how much clearance have you got?

astura
    Free Member

I thin I may be able to save myself some money potentially here 🙂 by the looks of it my Fox stations measure to 157mm so im guessing there 150mm perfect fit for new bike. When I was looking at replacing the forks I was going to go for 34s or pikes what is the difference in performance with these against 32s?

kiwijohn

Compared to a Pike, 32’s are a wet noodle at that length. Do not bother with them.

astura
    Free Member

Wet Noodle haha! Explain? The reason I was going to use my 32`s was because I already have so no extra cost

Jeffus
    Free Member

fit the wheel and tyre remove all theair out of the fork and compress them to see if the tyre hits the crown on my 32’s the tyre hit 15mm before full travel, my 36’s at full travel still had 12mm clearance

astura
    Free Member

Jeffus, are you saying the tyre hit the crown on your 32`s?

kiwijohn

Wet noodle as in they won’t go in a straight line.

gg14
    Free Member

What do you mean wont go in a straight line?

I’ve 32 talas on my trance advanced and they’re perfectly fit for purpose.

I don’t get the 32 bashing at all.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Depends what you’re doing with them, they’re not so good for smashing through rock gardens or root infested off camber stuff. I run 36s on the big bike and 32mm revs on the hardtail.

kiwijohn

The 150mm 32 Float that came on my SB66 certainly wasn’t up to bombing rock gardens.
    The Pike I replaced it with is on a different level.
    The 32 is fine for xc in shorter travel.

astura
    Free Member

How do mountain kings 2.2 compare with Ralph, would there be more issues with clearance?

granny_ring

Do what Jeffus said with whatever tyre you fit, let all the air out of fork and compress to see what clearance you have from the tyre…….not hard to work out surely?

Jeffus
    Free Member

yes it did and there was still 15mm to go, OTB and a world of pain if you don’t check 😀 (my wheel was a Flowex with a 2.25 Ardent 650b)

astura
    Free Member

Iv ordered some Ralphs 27.5 2.25 £15 a tyre new (cheap), will try those on – I think it will be ok – but will test when they arrive.

I don’t plan to keep the forks for long until I upgrade to Pikes or 34`s but want to wait until I can get some new I think. All advice on here has helped so thanks in advance.

astura
    Free Member

15mm on mine too. Safety first ?

mark_rich
    Free Member

Running a 650b 2.35 butcher in 26″ fox 36’s here with no probs clears by about 5mm, no problem at crown either, a-c If remember right is a couple of mm more than a 150mm 650b pike. The offset is about 5mm less though, should make it more stable but slower turning, can’t say I can tell as I’ve not run the bike with any other fork.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

650B ardents in a Fox 34 160mm = 158mm of travel before the tyre hits the crown. Also echoing what Kiwi says 32’s about about 130mm are shit, not stiff enough too much flex and not that reassuring. The 34’s are much stiffer and better for longer travel along with the pikes.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Assuming that your Ralphs for £15 are probably performance compound, you won’t be riding quick enough to notice any difference in fork flex.
    Interpret that how you want.

br
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of 150mm 32’s, can’t see a 650B wheel/tyre fitting unless it is narrow and/or low profile – certainly would get clogged up very easily with mud.

Running a 650b 2.35 butcher in 26″ fox 36’s

My old 36’s on the other hand do have a lot of clearance with a 26″ wheel and decent tyre, so maybe.

anotherstan
    Free Member

make of this what you will

26″ rim, 3″ tyre, 26″ fork

njee20
    Free Member

Compared to a Pike, 32’s are a wet noodle at that length. Do not bother with them.

Moot point as he already has them, suitability aside…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fox Forks off 26" (will they fit a 650b)’ is closed to new replies.