• This topic has 19 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox Forks Lower Legs Replacement
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I need to replace the lower legs on my 2008 140mm Fox Talas R forks (stripped thread in post-mount). I’m assuming I can use lowers from Talas forks manuafctured since then if they’re still 32mm??

wwaswas

might be cheaper to get the mount helicoiled?

Paceman
    Free Member

Yeah, I tried one LBS and they didn’t want to do that, may be worth trying the other Brighton area shops.

wwaswas

or maybe just a local engineering firm if you can strip them yourself?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Tap hole next size up or use a longer bolt?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve tried a longer bolt but it came loose. Not tried tapping a larger hole etc.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Helicoil all day long. Dont mess about with larger bolts as you’ll only weaken the mount itself. They arent very wide as it is.

Any decent engineering place should be able to sort it….most LBS’s will not have a clue IMO

mk1fan
    Free Member

Tapping the thread to M8 size and using an M* blt is the easiest option.

Helicoil repair would be easy enough too.

If you’ve written off the lowers anyway then what have to lose?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I thought for a helicoil you had to tap it out to a larger dia anyway? It just means you can use the same sized bolt as before, no?

wwaswas

yes bigyinn – drill out then tap to fit insert to bring back to original thread size.

normski
    Free Member

Evans Cycles suspension service centre heli-coiled mine for £10. As good as new now 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Normski, that might be useful as their HQ is only 25 miles away.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just make sure they have previous experience. A good machine shop will do it – Bike shop, not likely.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Alternatively…

Since folk often bin their Fox forks when the stanchions wear out, perhaps you can rebuild your fork with their discarded lowers?

Paceman
    Free Member

Just sorted some 2009 Fox Talas lowers at a good price. Gonna go with that option as it didn’t cost much more than getting the thread repaired would have cost.

bazzer
    Free Member

Helicoil it if there is enough material to drill and tap for the insert. The thread will then be steel and stronger than original.

You can buy a kit with the inserts drill and correct tap. I have done it a couple of times on ali parts on my old race car.

normski
    Free Member

make sure the bushes on the replacement lowers you got aren’t worn (i’m assuming youve got some second ones yeah?)otherwise you’ll mash up your stanchions in no time 🙁

normski
    Free Member

– i meant second hand – oops

Paceman
    Free Member

Sorted… and surprisingly easy to fit. I’ll definately be doing my own fork seal services in future. 😀

Taff
    Free Member

My brother in law did exactly the same although brand new. He went back to the shop as they were only a week old and was told it was a common occurance but didn’t get covered under warranty. He went to a mechanic who said helicoiling would be stronger than it was originally but last minute he phoned Mojo who swapped his lowers with some seconds that they had in store – not bad going there I didn’t think.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox Forks Lower Legs Replacement’ is closed to new replies.