Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox fork PSI
  • prezet
    Free Member

I’m trying to set up my Fox air fork – I’ve never had an air fork before, always spring, so this might be a noob topic.

Anyway, I’m checking the Fox manual for suggested PSI, and at my weight it’s coming in at about 75psi, which doesn’t seem a lot. So I began with that, and the sag was waaaaaay off, I’m now up to 150psi and still getting 40mm of sag. Fox say 35mm is plush!

Am I doing something wrong here?

mrmo
    Free Member

do you know your shock pump is right, is any air leaking when you remove the pump, are you sitting correctly on the bike when checking the sag.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

73kg and 70psi is fine for me. 150psi is way off.

nuke

150psi does sound high. 70kg here and running around 75psi on my Fox forks which happens to be the amount suggested by TFT after a recent service

prezet
    Free Member

70psi and they feel as sloppy as a sloppy thing… I’m coming from a Pike with a firm spring. But these things just feel sooo soft, even in ‘climb’ mode which is meant to be a form of lockout still has loads of travel.

Shock pump goes up to 300psi, it’s the Fox one…

BenjiM

Bear in mind the pump is also for rear shocks. I like a firm fork 100PSI and I’m 68kg. It will depend on the fork travel and your frame too. It’s best to run it at what you feel is good for you. Go on a short local offroad ride, take the pump and try a few different pressures and see what suits you best.

prezet
    Free Member

When in lockout mode – how much travel *should* it have? I’ve put mine into it, hold the front brake and push down and I get about 6cm in 140mm travel mode. Thought it was meant to be near rigid?

tinsy
    Free Member

Is there any specific setting Fox Forks need to be in when adding air like some shocks have?

prezet
    Free Member

Manual just says to put it in long travel settings for the talas.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just set it up until you get the required sag in long travel mode. I wouldn’t guarantee that your shock pump is accurate either. Have you got another shock pump you could try / borrow for a comparison?

prezet
    Free Member

I don’t, but I’m a bit concerned how much travel the fork still seems to have in lockout mode.

glenh
    Free Member

Exactly what model is it?

The lockout on some has an adjustable ‘blow off’ so the fork will still move when locked out if you hit it hard enough (which might not be very hard at all, depending on how you have it set).

150psi does sound way too much though. Run my fox forks at about 75psi (70kg), but it may be that your pump has a crap gauge, or leaks loads when you take it off.

bigyinn
    Free Member

On the older RLCs you can adjust the lockout threshold which determines the force required to allow the fork to move. Its usually a blue know at the bottom of the RHS (damping side) leg.
    You dont actually state what model and year of fork you have. At a guess its a Talas RL?
    Its possible the damper needs bleeding. To do this you put the rebound damping on max and then cycle the fork down and up about 20 times (takes a while), then you return the rebound to the previous setting.

prezet
    Free Member

Sorry, yeah it’s the 2013 CTD model: http://www.foxracingshox.com/product.php?m=bike&t=forks&p=32201&ref=filter

On the bottom of the right hand leg (sitting on bike) is a red knob which controls the rebound. The pump doesn’t leak, a quick hiss when removing, but that’s it.

When you say set damping to max, do you mean so it’s a slow, or a fast rebound?

Thanks for the help 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I’m 90kg and have 45psi. It still feels harsh. Have I got duffers?

Kryton57

IIRC and I stand to be corrected, Fox do have a reputation for being inconsistent with the amount of oil that goes in at the factory, which can affect things within a certain (the “average” persons) window. Also, the LSC, HSC and Rebound has a huge affect within this range, leading to a variety of apparent inconsitency’s.

For example, I’m 78kg’s and ride at 60psi, 5 clicks LSC, 11 clicks rebound I think everyone riding between 40 and 80psi could be in this bracket of fettling. Wrecker, check your HSC?

Except for the OP, I think you have a problem with those.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whe I say max i mean slllooooowwww….. 😆
    Not sure if that applies to your model with the FIT damper though.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker, check your HSC?

Fully off. The forks are 2011 and have been serviced so I know the oil is correct.

glenh
    Free Member

prezet – Member
    Sorry, yeah it’s the 2013 CTD model: http://www.foxracingshox.com/product.php?m=bike&t=forks&p=32201&ref=filter

In that case I assume you mean the ‘climb’ position when you say lockout. It’s a hydraulic lock out with a blow off, so the fork will still move (through it’s full travel) with sufficient force.

Doesn’t explain your spring pressure conundrum though.

remedy
    Free Member

Hi,
    I run 100psi on my talas 32 rlc i weigh 85kg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox fork PSI’ is closed to new replies.