Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fox fork oil why is it …..
  • oldfart

So much dearer than Rock or Stendec ?£15 against £6 oil’s oil right ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

because if you don’t use fox oil your warranty is invalid. Its called capitalism

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just buy the silkoline equivalent in the same weight.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Because it’s MTB kit. Nuff said.

When it comes to fluids and parts, a company will just take standard kit and increase the price. Let’t take an anaology:

two identical shirts, made in the same factory by the same people. One has an “Armarni” label sewn on it, the other has “Primark” sewn on it. By virtue of the Armarni label, the product is suddenly worth signficantly more, because people pay for it.

Brake fluid and suspension oil is exactly the same, but “Mountain Bike” becomes the Armarni label and suddenly it’s worth twice as much. I get my oil from a MX shop. It’s £5 for the litre, half what the same volume in Stendec oil is and it’s CHEMICALLY IDENTICAL. Same with fox stuff.

Brake fluid is exactly the same, what’s in a Finish Line bottle is chemically identical to a bottle of Halfords DOT 5.1 but twice the price.

So yes, Oil is Oil. Get some fully synthetic Suspension fluid in the correct weight from a Motorbike shop and it’ll do the job just as well as the Fox. I ride DH all the time and I found absolutely NO difference between HFX stuff you get for motorbikes and Stendec oil other than price.

EDIT: TJ is right, despite being chemically identical it voids your warranty, but that’s your own fault for buying Fox! 😉

steel4real
    Free Member

1) Hello roland 🙂

2) I’m probably going to be a bit controversial here but let’s just say your servicing some Fox 32’s (like me) I’m going to use 190ml to refill the fork as specified (maybe actually use some more cleaning parts etc.) so that £15 buys me enough oil for 4 full services. Fox reccomend their stuff, i use it, it works.

I guess it’s down to personal choice & finances but if you can afford a £500+ fork how come a few extra pounds matter when srvicing it ?

oldfart

S4R you have got a good point .Roland ? so go on then give me a clue ?

steel4real
    Free Member

Unless I’ve confused with some one else at T2R extended stay lodge ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

get mine from Halfords or motorbike shop, I don’t feel the cheaper alternative dents my performance any

thejesmonddingo

Buy Silkolene from a Motorbike dealer,search on MTBR,and you can find what the oil actually is,most of it is a manufacturers stock oil,rebadged anyway.
    Ian

oldfart

s4r i am Sparticus ! now reveal your identity sir !

steel4real
    Free Member

I thought it was in my profile – Marcus, i was staying early september for a week with Stu & Paul. Finished with a badly sprained ankle & can still not run on it, walk far & only ride XC with a brace on 🙁 (Guess it could be worse!)
    Think you may have gone to Tyax most of that week ?

oldfart

Yeah with you now mate !Sorry to hear about your unwanted extra from Whistler .So what is the outcome going to be according to the experts ?Though if you saw my thread about my Bone Density results you may not want to take a lot of notice of “experts” !

steel4real
    Free Member

As I’m relying on the NHS very little so far !
    – Got X-rayed on return, all OK.
    – Paid for my own physio after a couple of weeks to let swelling go down. Advised no complications, carry on with exercises etc.
    – Seen Doc after 3 months -“your progres is fine”, come back in 6 weeks if you need to !
    – That 6 weeks is up so I’m seeing him again next week, somehow I have to demand to see an ‘expert’.
    Very frustrating, I ride with a brace, just about survive on the hardtail. If I fall on that foot it’s very painful.
    And so on.
    I know it could be far worse & is for some people, but even i can feel & see that the tendons or whatever aren’t right.

Anyway, sorry to hear that you’re having problems. I’ll look up that thread.

Take care !

doof_doof
    Free Member

All you need to know is here:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm

As mentioned, Silkolene *IS* Fox fluid, and can be had for about £10 for a litre.

cp

I use Silkolene in mine through numerous services on my 32 TALAS and it’s fine. Have always bought my fork oil from motorbike shops for a fraction of what fork manufacturers charge.

As mentioned, it’s the same with manufacture’s own brand brake fluids. It’s just mass-made stuff, rebranded.

Trimix
    Free Member

Speaking of servicing fox forks – what are people using to lube the stantions ?

WD40 I suppose will not be good for the seals after a while, so what about a light oil or silicone spray ?

Dosent fox recommend something, probably an expensive rebranding of silicone spray ?

wwaswas

As mentioned, Silkolene *IS* Fox fluid, and can be had for about £10 for a litre.

if it’s literally indistinguishable both cosmetically and chemically how would Fox know you hadn’t used their stuff and thus void your warranty?

doof_doof
    Free Member

if it’s literally indistinguishable both cosmetically and chemically how would Fox know you hadn’t used their stuff and thus void your warranty?

They wouldn’t. It’s the same product rebranded. All fork companies do this. Fox/Marz/RS are not in the oil manufacturing business.

Hope don’t make their own brake fluid do they?

poppa
    Free Member

If they’re chemically identical, how can Fox (or their distributors) tell that you have used someone elses oil?

GHill

Fox fork oil is a bit of a different colour to some of the motorbike stuff I’ve used in the past. Not sure if that’s the same across the board.

Could be a different colour for warranty stuff?

wwaswas

that link says that Fox fork oil is a Torco product?

thejesmonddingo

The old Fox was Golden Torco,the new stuff is Silkolene IIRC.
    Ian

Macavity
    Free Member

The mark up / profit on oil (engine oil etc) in general is hilarious.
    Why is oil more expensive than petrol / diesel, which is mostly tax?

There was a letter in Diesel Car magazine, Feb 2005, issue 203. (www.dieselcar.com)

” Myself and two other motoring enthusiasts got together to find a cheaper way of getting quality oil at a better price. We each agreed to accept a 20 litre container and, armed with an order for our 60 litres. I went to a local oil distributor to get a price for some fully synthetic oil in this case Total Quartz 9000 5w/40. In January 2004 I was quoted £1.45 per litre including vat. When we eventually went to order in October we had expected a price rise – what with the escalating cost of crude oil. We were then quoted £1.20 per litre, plus vat and I could barely believe it! I was told that it was because the order was placed at the beginning of the month! That worked out at £7.05 for 5 litres, delivered to my front door. Apparently we were classed as “bulk-buyers”.”

doof_doof
    Free Member

wwaswas

So If I want 7wt fork oil the same as the top bottle is that light or medium?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fox fork oil why is it …..’ is closed to new replies.