Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox fork oil.
  • zippykona

My forks don’t bottom out (even running 40 psi)and are harsh on small stuff. They are 2007 float 32s and I can’t fit any sort of tokens.
    Thought I would do a lowers service. Before I go and buy some 10w oil, would using 7.5 w oil (which I have lots of) help soften my forks.
    If it needs to be 10 w can I use something from the motoring bit in Halfords or does it need to be cycle specific?
    My Triumph used to use ATF in its forks.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s most likely an open bath damper, so I wouldn’t on the damper side. Unless you wan’t to completely change how the fork handles, it might end up worse.

What I find with those old Floats is the oil on the air spring side migrates up the fork to the air chamber, reducing the volume like tokens, but over a period of time whilst the user set air pressure remains the same. Hence why they start to feel harsh over time.

You will probably find the full 30 ml of lower oil mixed with the blue stuff above the piston. I understand you can change the seals for a better version, bear in mind the originals were not that effective in the first place (I’d say a design fault), hence why Fox recommend regular service intervals!

I empty the oil from the top back into the lower every so often. Or let some air out when they start to feel harsh.

Do the service though, especially if it’s not been done for years. It’s usually Fox Green, 160ml on the damper side and 30 ml on the air spring side, with 5cc of Fox blue above the air piston. Fox publish a table with the volumes.

zippykona

Thanks that makes sense.
    These are the forks.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Sounds like you have already lowered the air pressure to account for the harshness!

There is a small window for air volume tuning with these forks but it’s between about 0-20 ml of oil on top of the air piston, when you put more in you can’t get full travel! Bear in mind you have got the migration problem which **** the job of keeping it consistent. There is anecdotal evidence you can improve the situation by altering the seals. You can tune the dampers behaviour with different grades of oil, they must be full synthetic to prevent seal swelling!

When you do the service make sure you cycle the damper to get rid of the oil inside it, otherwise you will end up over filling the damper leg. None of the online guides or Fox’s for that matter cover this little detail and loads of DIYers fell foul of it.

Good luck.

slickandslide
    Free Member

More than likely all the lower leg lube on the air side has migrated into the air chamber and its preventing them getting full travel. When you remove the lower legs I woud also recommend servicing the air spring as well.

zippykona

Can anyone point me to all the bits I need please.

zippykona

I have post mounts does that mean my forks are 2008?

zippykona

Sucked all the oil out of the top half of the air side. Squirted 5ml back in , then squirted the rest through the bottom shaft hole.
    Already getting a lot more travel bumping up the kerb.
    Good advice Mr C Pot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox fork oil.’ is closed to new replies.