Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox Fork oil
  • stayhigh

Evening all

Just across quick question, what oil do I need for 2009 F29 RL forks please?

Mine are due new seals and an oil change but my googlefu has failed me & I can’t seem to find it online 😳

TIA

RickDraper
    Free Member

Fox 10wt green.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=530
    Not too difficult to find.
    Number 15, assuming they’re open bath (most likely in ’09) The 10w red, but green would do if you haven’t got red (IMO) it’s an old fork, so wouldn’t worry too much about the difference.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bgascoyne
    Free Member

No need to splash out on fox oil…its just repackaged under their name. I have used silkolene fork oil in my fox RLs since 2009 and had no issues. Its motorbike fork oil. Much cheaper and the same thing.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Number 15, assuming they’re open bath (most likely in ’09) The 10w red, but green would do if you haven’t got red (IMO) it’s an old fork, so wouldn’t worry too much about the difference.

Fox have started recommending red as they have stopped making the 10wt green however its possible to get it in the UK still.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

No need to splash out on fox oil…its just repackaged under their name. I have used silkolene fork oil in my fox RLs since 2009 and had no issues. Its motorbike fork oil

This.

Someone geeked out on it years ago so you don’t have to

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/bikesuspension.htm

andysredmini
    Free Member

Use the new fox gold oil if you can get it. My LBS told me they use it on all fox forks now as it is good stuff. I bought some for my 36’s and it does seem very good. Very sticky so I imagine it coats everything inside quite well hence the reason the new models use so little oil. It also come out spotlessly clean when I do a service. Because the forks use so little oil a bottle that initially seems expensive will last a long time.

lyrikal
    Free Member

Fox gold oil is for lower leg service on closed systems only, it is way too thick for damper use.

The reason the new 36 forks use ‘so little oil’ is nothing to do with the stickiness of the oil but because you aren’t servicing the damping unit during a lower leg service, it is only oil for lubrication.

As above, any 10wt fork oil will do the job, fox green if you get it cheap or any other from a motorbike shop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox Fork oil’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts