Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox FLOAT wiper clean
  • Stoner
    Free Member

After some exploratory poking it seems one can’t pop wipers up off my floats to oil the sponges. Fortunately Mojo have on their site an excellent video demonstrating what looks like a relatively easy process to remove the lowers to clean the wipers.

However it recommends suspension fluid for relubing the sponges. Is there any reason why a bog standard light mineral oil like 3in1 wouldn’t do the job perfectly well?

wwaswas

it may be immiscible with the normal float fluid in the lowers and bugger up the lubrication of the bushes leading to expensive wear?

You can get the little sachets of fluid for not much so unless it’s *really* urgent it might be best to wait?

Stoner
    Free Member

I didn’t think there was any float fluid in the lowers except for that which is on the sponges.

wwaswas

sorry, the normal suspension oil in the lowers.

there must be either a design thing that allows the two to mix when the suspension oil hits the sponges or the fluid stays in the sponges and doesn’t leech out into the suspension oil?

Other lubricants may not stay in the sponges and ‘spoil’ the suspension oil?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

DO NOT USE 3 in 1, or anything like. For UK conditions, it’s Float Fluid in the foam rings and suspension fluid in the rest of the lower legs.

Stoner
    Free Member

According to this video there’s no suspension fluid in the lowers
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/dust-wiper-seal-clean

Have I got something very wrong?

wwaswas

I think there is a little to lube the bushes but it stays inside the stanchions when you remove the lowers in the way they show – you can see him hold a cloth over the bottom of the lower as he turns it the right way up when he removes it?

spacehopper

26 seconds in..?

where it says turn it upside down so the fluid goes into the CSU.. ?

Stoner
    Free Member

If you look at the other video on the site covering the same process but in an older longer video, he doesn’t seem to worry about any fluid falling out and again only adds a drenched foam ring of oil.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ahhh! Thanks spacehopper

I will go and get some float fluid in morzine. But I’ll do the flip fork thing so I don’t have to replace any suspension fluid

Cheers

wwaswas

what year is it, list of most older models here;

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm

[edit] shows that most have oil sloshing around the lowers, just not a huge amount.

RickDraper
    Free Member

it’s Float Fluid in the foam rings and suspension fluid in the rest of the lower legs.

Its now 10wt on the foam runs or 20wt gold if its got a FIT damper.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think mine as 2013 29ers with CTD are 30ml of suspension fluid in each.

I’ve managed to pick up some blue squishies for €4 each so can give them a bit of tlc now the mud is getting to them.

(big thumbs up to torico for that)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fox FLOAT wiper clean’ is closed to new replies.