Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fox Float R
  • wors

Do they do the job well enough?

RustyMac

The one on my Ironhorse MkIII seems to be doing a grand job, looking like it could do with some new seals next service so may see if there is any upgrades that can be done then but been very happy with it so far.

rocketman
    Free Member

From new I would say no. In fact the R is one of those components that is so meh it’s part of the bike manufacturer’s cunning plan to make us ‘upgrade’.

But all it really needs is a bit of tlc and setting up correctly. Got mine rebuilt by the lbs £80 and it is like night and day. Really. Suspension action is at least as good as the Revs on the front.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Yeah. I had both the fork and rear shock and never really wanted more adjustment. Simple but good forks/shock.

chakaping
    Free Member

Presume you;re talking about shocks and not forks?

Wasn’t impressed with the 2010 one I had at all, but a 2008 one on a different bike was alright – though much better once PUSHed.

cardo

I ran the R for a while but upgraded to the RLC FIT which is superb. The R performed faultlessly BTW and would have been fine but I took advantage of the “FIT” upgrade Mojo were offering. TBH one of the best features is the compression damping on the RLC which absorbs small bumps faultlessly and the FIT cartridge which has behaved in all conditions and rides XC/ALPS/ Trail Centres, for the last 12 months.

wors

Yeah i was talking about the shock.

LoCo
    Free Member

Both my bikes have Float R rears atm, as stock in the correct tune they work fine, nicely tunable too.

cardo

Doh sorry thought we were talking about forks….. 😳

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Shocks are hard to qualify. On some frames, simpler is better; some not.

nmdbase
    Free Member

On my heckler yes, on my trance x no

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you have some sort of anti bob bike Turner/ Intense then fine. Less sure on a single pivot tbh as I have never tried but I would assume huge amounts of Bob when powered by your mighty legs and svelte frame
    Do you want to try one as I have one lying around or are you after a frame that has one?

wors

Looking at a zesty, comes with float R. Can’t deside though.

I would assume huge amounts of Bob when powered by your mighty legs and svelte frame

I’ll give you that tenner next time i see you 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I had one on a Zesty, it was alright on smoother trails but went all wooden feeling over rocks or roots.

SBrock
    Free Member

On my heckler yes, on my trance x no

I had an RP23 on my 2008 Heckler, waste of money as the Float R does does the same job as the RP23 minus the Pro Pedal…. all Santa Cruz air shocks come with a Low Compression tune so no need for the Pro Pedal.

When I sold my Heckler and upgraded to a Butcher I just went for the Float R, and the bike climbs pretty good with no need for Pro Pedal. With the Pro Pedal OFF the RP23 & Float perform identical.

All in all a great Air Shock!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float R’ is closed to new replies.