Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox float fluid in a fox shock? any other substance do?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Need to do an air can clean and lube, no float fluid. Anything else do the job?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Heavy gear oil Float fluid is apparently 55 wt gear oil.

nealy
    Free Member
    Superficial
    Free Member

Just for the air can? I’ve used all sorts. I’ve been using 10wt fork oil for the last year at least, and before that I had it running with Finish Line Wet XC lube for at least a month. i’m sure there’s someone at Mojo crying right now, but I can honestly say there were no problems. It’s still as plush as ever, no leaks/squeaks etc. 2007 Fox float R by the way – I guess I might be more conscientious with a new RP23 or something expensive. Obviously I wouldn’t recommend it, and apparently the fox fluid isn’t too expensive, but in a bind it seems you can get away with almost anything.

nealy
    Free Member

“Just for the air can?”…..!

It’s a pretty important component on the bike and it needs proper suspension fluid. Fox fluid is good but Red Line or Silkolene is better quality, just use the right amount of proper suspension fluid and not whatever oil you’ve got lying around!

retro83
    Free Member

nealy – Member
    “Just for the air can?”…..!

It’s a pretty important component on the bike and it needs proper suspension fluid. Fox fluid is good but Red Line or Silkolene is better quality, just use the right amount of proper suspension fluid and not whatever oil you’ve got lying around!

Not suspension fluid necessarily, gear or motor oil works just as well or better (as it’s designed for low friction and adhering to moving parts, rather than consistent viscocity across temperature ranges).

nealy
    Free Member

Sorry mate but that’s just bollocks! Show me some evidence to prove that. Suspension fluid is designed shear stability and consistent viscosity plus low friction. Also how would you know which weight gear or motor oil to get?? As you can see in the chart below even specific suspension fluids supposedly of the same weight can have massively different viscosities.

http://i41.tinypic.com/25qpx81.png

RustyMac

Here is what seems to be the genuine stuff on ebay for a massive £2.25 deliverd,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Float-Fluid-Pillow-Pack-5CC-/140624794112?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item20bde41200
    Or if you want to stock pile then buy one of the small bottles for just under £12 deliverd
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Forks-Float-8-o-z-Fluid-/280750647472?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item415e0ae8b0

At those prices why bother messing abut buying other stuff.

[edit] Just go to Loco tuning, a quick check shows he is even cheaper
    http://locotuning.co.uk/suspension-oils-and-lubricants.html [/edit]

rob-jackson
    Free Member

because i want to do it today

MarkyG82

As I see it, the properties of susp fluid are mainly to prevent foaming in damping and provide lubrication. You then pick the viscosity to match the system/damping. The fluid in the air can is lube only. Therefore I’d be happy using thick fork oil.

nealy
    Free Member

If you must do it today go to Halfords and buy this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_168066_langId_-1_categoryId_165507

It’s 42cSt rather than Fox Fluid which is 31.82cSt so is too heavy but’s probably the best you’ll get unless you can find it at a local bike shop.

5AM
    Free Member

Where are you Cruzheckler, if you’re anywhere near Basingstoke I have some here on my desk.
    Sure you didn’t get a little sachet included with the new seals?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sorry mate but that’s just bollocks

So if suspension fluid is as good at adering to moving parts and reducing friction under load as gear oil, should I be filling the diff on the midget with fork oil or diff oil?

If fox have decided to use gear oil and they’re not the only ones to use it, I’ve had at least one motorbike that specified gearbox oil for the lowers, then why go against that advice. It’s not a money making/cost saving exercise for them, they could have re-badged anything, so why do you think with access to pretty much any oil they could think of they would chose the wrong one?

LoCo
    Free Member

Spoon, it’s not blue though 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True, it is a very nice colour.

Doesn’t beat the green engine oil in the Midget though!

failedengineer

It’s gear oil. About 75 – 80W.

retro83
    Free Member

nealy – Member
    Sorry mate but that’s just bollocks! Show me some evidence to prove that. Suspension fluid is designed shear stability and consistent viscosity plus low friction. Also how would you know which weight gear or motor oil to get?? As you can see in the chart below even specific suspension fluids supposedly of the same weight can have massively different viscosities.

I think you’re just a bit confused to be honest. Float Fluid is a very thick gear/assembly oil. Certainly much, much thicker than the 10wt damper oil you have recommended.
    I’ve heard it’s 85wt oil rebadged, but I can’t vouch for the truth of that.

cheers_drive

Yeah people are getting confused. As retro said Fox Fluid is just gear oil and is a lubricant used on the foad rings and around the seals.
    Suspension oil is for damping and the equivalent weights of one brand to another don’t exactly match. There used to be a good guide on line but a quick google search didn’t find it

martinxyz
    Free Member

If you need something straight away i recommend coppaslip.

No,kidding. Just fancied coming up with some other greasy type of fluid for the thread ;O)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox float fluid in a fox shock? any other substance do?’ is closed to new replies.