Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fox Float 36 Knocking
  • gavrobb
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been covered before but… Granted they are getting on a bit (09’s) but my 36’s are in ok nick, stripped and service – oil change and new damper – but they continue to knock on rebound like a loose headset. Any idea’s what this is? Changed out air cartridge for coil but same thing (back to air again).

Travel shims and return spring are all fine – is it just worn bushes? No sign of wear on the uppers tho?

Why can’t I replace the bushings myself (or find anything online to do this?)

Probably about to post a WTD for a newer version and just replace them. Quite fancy the Talas – Yeti SB66 it pretty sensitive to whats up front (and the 650 front wheel doesnt help)

Appreciate some advice if anybody has seen this before. Thanks

chris36860
    Free Member

I had this on 36’s and spoke to Fox at a demo day. they called it the fox knock and was told it was normal. Mine done it with no load on ( off the bike ) and rocked it backward and forwards with the front brake on.

In a few days I’m posting a foresale ad with some 2009 36 160’Talas in white. Just had a new set of stantions from Mojo with new seals and service. Have not even fitted them to a bike since the work. They are the RC2 version with high/ low compression and rebound. The lowers have a few light scratches but the rest is brand new. They had new bushes and Talas system 13 months ago at Mojo ( the new ones are a warranty replacement).

After £360 posted.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I guess there is a good chance the bushes are worn- wor stanchions don’t necessarily accompany worn bushes; especially if you’ve been keeping up the oil changes.

I think mojo will check and fit bushes if you can’t/don’t want to do it yourself.

gavrobb
    Free Member

The “Fox knock” haha – great! I’m going through headsets fast, over tightening them as habit, just all feels wrong!

I assumed that worn stanchions went hand in hand with worn bushings, thanks for correcting me. Appreciate that they can be sent away, I’ve used Mojo in the past (blown cartridge damper) and great service, just feel this is all something I should be doing myself.

Sent you a mail Chris – could be interested. The other issue with likes of Mojo of course is not having a second set of forks. Sun is not going to be here much longer! Not sure I can manage a week without…..

chakaping
    Free Member

I had an 08 or 09 36 RC2 Talas which did that from new. I sent them back for a different set which didn’t do it.

I doubt this information is any help to you, but hey.

gavrobb
    Free Member

All good info. Just nice to know I’m not alone …… (!!)

Cheers guys – may be time to change brand.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float 36 Knocking’ is closed to new replies.