Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • fox float 36, cost of repairing damaged parts
  • lfc1fitzy
    Free Member

hi there, i wondered if anyone could tell me how much roughly it costs to have your stanchions replaced and the cost of replacing the steering tube as i have snapped mine? would mojo, tftuned and my LBS vary greatly in price or would they all have the same price? thanks

SirHC

The Steerertube/crown/stanchions are a one piece pressfit/bonded assembly, they can only be replaced as a whole unit. I would be sending the complete fork back to Mojo/TF to be inspected, as it will take a lot of force to snap a steerer, possibly damaging other parts in the process (e.g. twisted lowers).

The price is likely to be very similar between TF/Mojo and I would question the ability of your LBS to carry out the work.

Tracey

When you start adding the price of thr repair up including the postage to get it done you could get a set of new Pikes from Europe for not much more.

lfc1fitzy
    Free Member

thanks for the info Sir HC. Only about 2inch of the top of my steerer has snapped off due to excessive spacers and having my stem only half way bolted over the steerer, so i would think i haven’t harmed anything else but who knows haha.

Could you put a price on having the Steerertube/crown/stanchions replaced at all?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Had mine done about 5 years ago and it cost circa £350 with a service. It’s not cheap.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think csu is about £300 ish for these but you’ll probably need a service/bushing resize at the same time.

I’d imagine you’d not see much change from £400. How much steerer is left?

lfc1fitzy
    Free Member

enough for me to still ride, i would say about 1 1/2 is still poking out of the headtube

andyl
    Free Member

Remove any traces of damage and cracks and get some higher rise bars or stem in that case. At your risk of course.

Tracey

You may get away with fitting a 30mm stem but you wont be able to get many if any spaces on it. You may neet to sraighten the top of the steerer up if its snapped.

andyl
    Free Member

actually, thinking about it with say 35mm out in damaged state I would think you will be cutting it too fine. Would just get them on ebay with some decent pics and show the length of steerer and cut your losses and buy a new fork. And leave plenty of steerer out this time 🙂

Gary_C

I’ve got a knackered set of 36 FLOAT’s, they need new stanchion assembly, new bushes in the lowers, a service, plus carriage to & from mojo & the cost of that lot was around the £400 mark iirc (this was a few years back). It made more sense to buy a new fork, so I bought some Revelations for £350 from Merlin & left the FLOATS gathering dust in the spare room.

lfc1fitzy
    Free Member

ok thanks for the help

Tracey

If you go down the new route have a look at the Alltricks site. With their prices it doesn’t make any sense to have an expensive repair. Ebay the old ones as spares to offset the cost.

GHill

Mojo list the price on their website – £396.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘fox float 36, cost of repairing damaged parts’ is closed to new replies.