Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fox factory FIT forks service
  • andybrad

Ok so ive serviced a set of evolution forks before but these appear to be a whole different kettle of fish.

So is it worth it servicing it yourself?

Is it possible to do a “refresh” of the forks to chamge the oil and stop the sanction wear without touching the cartridge?

Do you know if the 100 quid or so people charge for a fork service includes the damper rebuild on the fit forks?

Cheers

jairaj

You need to check exactly what service each person is providing as they do differ slightly.

But for £100 I would be expecting a full service, change all o-rings and damping and lubrication oil etc …

Yes you can do a “refresh” with out touching the damper. This is called a lower leg service and is pretty easy on most forks. This requires you to change the lubrication oil, dust and oil seals.

The first time might take a while but you’ll soon get it down to 30mins. Have a search online, there are lots and lots of videos showing how to do a lower leg service.

andybrad

Ok so a refresh is definateley what im looking for. However my 2013 CTD FIT float forks are not on the oil volume chart.

I thought it might be item 32 but am unsure can someone confirm?

So just dropping the lowers and replacing the oil is all thats needed?

DanW
    Free Member

Dropping the lowers, draining then replacing the lubrication fluid, giving the seals a quick clean and relubing the foam rings takes 10 minutes when you know what you are doing. There is a video here on Mojo which is what I think you want to do (and have probably done before by the sounds of it).

Servicing a FIT damper is something I looked in to but seems to be a massive PITA and best left to the competent/ professionals!

One problem I had with these forks is the lubrication fluid seeping in to the air chamber so I had to regularly let all the air out of the fork whereby the lubrication fluid would also come out, then replace the air and replace the fluid in the lowers. Because of this a lowers service was something I got quite quick at doing!

I suspect the oli volumes you want start from models 49 onwards (start of the 2013 forks) here but without knowing what fork you have it is impossible to say exactly which model number refers to what you need!

LoCo
    Free Member

Lower service yes and if you have a 26mm socket (6 sided and machined flat best to reduce the chance of damaging the top cap) you can change the float fluid in air chamber (air and scraper seals available along with wipers & foam rings)

FIT damper is servicable but can be a pain if not totally confident doing them.

We charge £85 for a full service (inc. damper) for reference.

andybrad

cheers for that. Ill send it off for the damper doing at the start of next year but want to keep the sanctions in top condition so its just the fluid service im after.

so not the damper oil or oil bath but just the 5cc of oil in each leg?

DanW
    Free Member

Exactly what model fork do you have? With FIT forks you generally wouldn’t touch anything to do with the damper unless you have Loco’s tools and skills 😀 Just a small amount of lubrication fluid required in the legs to keep the stanchions fresh (although the amount may depend on the model I guess).

andybrad

float 32 fit factory 140mm ctd 2013

yea just a couple of pillow packs then? i cant get on locos website

rab5474
    Free Member

Looking at the 32 series you need 30cc of fox green in each leg

andybrad

really? thought it was 5cc for the seals?

DanW
    Free Member

You need to replace the lubrication fluid that sloshes around in the lowers. From the info you’ve provided it isn’t clear how much your fork needs but it is usually the 15-30ml range. My 2011 Fox FIT RLC for example required 20ml of the green 10wt green suspension fluid in both legs. I then dipped the foam rings in the Fox Float Fluid which might be where you are thinking about 5ml from????

LoCo
    Free Member

Soak the current foam rings in 10wt lower oil (fox recommend) or the fox gold oil is out (need correct seals in 32mm forks)
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm oil guide on here for fork model & year.

andybrad

im unsure what im missing information wise.

Model : 32 float
    damper : FIT
    Date : 2013

What other info do you need?

LoCo
    Free Member

30ml per lower leg, 5ml float fluid on air piston.

If doing full oil change (excluding damper)

Details of how to do that in the above link if you have a look around in the service section.

andybrad

winner, just as i thought but got a little confused.

will be sending it your way for the full damper service later on in the year 🙂

Still cant get on your website btw

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers, website opening fine this end.

andybrad

http://www.locotuning.co.uk/ ?

is that right?

LoCo
    Free Member

yep

andybrad

nope no workey 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fox factory FIT forks service’ is closed to new replies.