Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fox F100 RLC vs. Rockshox SID RLT
  • neninja
    Free Member

Building up a a Cube Elite Super HPC frame and I’m in a quandry as to which fork to go for.

I’ve used a Fox F100 RL before which was OK but not a SID (used a Reba dual air). I’ve recently switched my full sus from a Fox 140 RLC Fit Talas to a Revelation as I preferred the Rev’s damping.

I can get a 100mm SID RLT Dual air 15mm brand new for about £250 delivered or a Fox F100 RLC 15mm for £379.

What would people recommend? The bike will be used for XC riding and occasional XC races.

Kryton57

IMO The Sid has less small bump sensitivity. Both are good for racing, with the Sid dual air being more tunable.

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jairaj

There is little to choose from between the Fox RLC damper and the Rock Shox RLT damper. Both are highly tune able and I can make them behave how I want them too. I don’t get on with Fox’s CTD damper but did like their RLC damper.

The thing that swings it for me is the dual air spring on the SIDs, the extra level of tuning really appeals to me but might not apply to everyone. You can make the SID more small bump compliant by putting a bit more air in the negative chamber.

If you are slightly competitive when racing then check which is lighter and go for that. Otherwise the SID just gets my vote, its slightly more adjustable and at a lower cost.

Where are you getting the SID from? I’ve looking around and can only find the newer solo air fork.

mmel
    Free Member

Just a bit of FYI on SID’s

A mate of mine went over the bars and knocked the lowers against a rock. I’m pretty sure any other forks would of bounced off but the SID’s dented and bent slightly out of alignment.

We’ve had the lowers off to inspect the damage inside as the stancion was binding at full travel and as suspected the magnesium alloy they are made from is paper thin. New lowers required!

The price you pay for the light weight I guess, but I think I would stick to Rebas

I’ve no experience with Fox to compare…

neninja
    Free Member

I’m not competitive racing wise so a few grammes will make little difference. The quoted weights of the Fox and SID are very similar.

It was mainly the damping quality I was interested in. Hopefully I won’t break them but SIDs are looking like first choice as it sounds like the extra £100+ for the Fox is hard to justify.

I’ll have a look around at some Reba options too.

mmel
    Free Member

The RLT internals of the Reba are the same as those on the SID, so if weight isn’t the top priority I’d get Reba’s. SID’s just seem a bit too fragile from what I’ve seen….

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. There simply aren’t any decent deals around that can find on Reba’s with 100mm travel and 15mm maxle.

I prefered the damping of my previous Reba SL to my Fox F100 RL so erring towards the SID still although I’ve found the Fox F100 RLC Fit for £270 new now.

Northwind

SIDs aren’t particularily delicate- the chassis is the same as the Reba for current models (well- apparently, I’ve not had the latest Reba in bits to be sure but they both have the hollow leg thing now)

I’m liking the RLT damper, very transparent to work with. Have to say the rebound damper range feels a bit limited, I’m not far from the max setting on mine despite fairly low pressures. Maybe that’s not normal, they work fine but perhaps the oil is tired or something (they’re new to me but used). Will be servicing them at some point soon.

My RLCs were definitely more compliant. But then they also dived like Ronaldo. I haven’t put enough miles on the SIDs to have a strong opinion but first impressions are far better than the F100s.

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks great feedback. I disliked the brake dive on my previous RL fork.

mmel
    Free Member

There simply aren’t any decent deals around that can find on Reba’s with 100mm travel and 15mm maxle

All Rebas up to and including the 2012 model can set to 100mm travel with internal spacers. It’s not so easy with the 2013 model though

TimCotic
    Free Member

My bruv and I both have DW Fluxes. His has 120mm Sid with 15mm bolt-thru, mine has a Revelation Maxxle converted from 140 to 120mm. Chris reckons the Rev is w-a-y smoother and I agree.
    Incidentally I have a 100mm Fox F29 on the 29er hardtail and I don’t think it’s anything like as good as the 120mm 26″ Rev.
    Forgot to mention: Chris says the Black box 120mm Reba Maxxle was really good but he got rid of it cos the mud clearace on the bridge was too tight and used to get jammed up. Does anyone know whether they’ve improved that in the last couple of years?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fox F100 RLC vs. Rockshox SID RLT’ is closed to new replies.