• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fox DPX2… Who's ridden one?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Thoughts on the new DPX2 yet?

Been running an X2 for 9 months now, very impressed with it, but new frame coming soon designed around a shorter travel shock so my 215×63 won’t fit. Also a little more trail focussed rather than a DH shock with a climb switch would be preferable on said new lighter, shorter travel frame. The DPX2 looks to tick all the boxes, but has anyone actually ridden one yet?

The other option is one of those super cheap Float CTD’s off CRC then get it PUSH tuned for my weight and the bike. Any feedback on a PUSH tune on a Float CTD shock?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’m also interested in one, but it is slightly annoying that they only offer it in one default tune for all, especially at the asking price! I’d need to budget extra for a suitable retune on the non-adjustable HSC shim stack straight away.

SirHC

Would hope that Mojo/TF/etc would be retuning before shipping.

Been very impressed with my STX22 so far (fitted to a smuggler), not the same range of adjustment as an X2, but a much better shock for trail riding, with much finer adjustments.

poah
    Free Member

coil it

mboy
    Free Member

I’d need to budget extra for a suitable retune on the non-adjustable HSC shim stack straight away.

Mojo will set it up for you and your bike inclusive of the purchase price so I understand.

Been very impressed with my STX22 so far

Is another choice potentially.

coil it

Looking to save weight on this bike, not add it. Coming down from a 160mm travel bike to a 140, looking to get it in under 28lb. That and shock rate is very linear throughout its travel, so it kinda needs an air shock to add some natural ramp up, where outgoing bike was quite progressive anyway so a coil would have worked well on it.

mmannerr

Are there any good reviews available? What I have understood us that it is not halfway between X2 and DPS but more like somewhat improved DPS.

I’m going to LBS today upgrade my 2018 DPS to 2018 X2, even though I’m slow as slow thing it feels like DPS is sometimes confused with repeated hits. DPS is pretty good compared to my RP23 BV with some tuning though.
    I’ve been spoiled with loaner DBAir Inline and BOS Kirk this summer so there is no going back to single valve damping now.

poah
    Free Member

Looking to save weight on this bike, not add it. Coming down from a 160mm travel bike to a 140, looking to get it in under 28lb. That and shock rate is very linear throughout its travel, so it kinda needs an air shock to add some natural ramp up, where outgoing bike was quite progressive anyway so a coil would have worked well on it.

pfff you riding a XC bike? I’ve got a coil on my suppressor with a almost linear leverage curve and I’ve got no issues.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of rides on the STX 22 now, it seems very good and gives loads of grip.

Not as perky as the DPS it replaced, not as supple as a CCDB coil. Somewhere in the middle but def more enduro than XC orientated.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Mojo will set it up for you and your bike inclusive of the purchase price so I understand.

Possibly the pressure and knob settings but I can’t see them spending a few hours pulling the damper apart and rebuilding it for free?

chakaping
    Free Member

Possibly the pressure and knob settings but I can’t see them spending a few hours pulling the damper apart and rebuilding it for free?

+1

Give them a bell and ask though.

ehrob

Maybe I’m missing something, but to me it looks like a Float X with 10 compression adjustments in open mode rather than 3. The rebound dial is also in a less retarded position. Presumably the tune will have been tweaked so it’ll be a nicer shock than the Float X in stock.

But none of that will sort out the tune being wrong, and the chassis looks very Float X.

FWIW I’ve got a Float X on a Transition Scout – was better than stock in its factory tune, but since had it Pushed and now its miles better.

I think Fox are starting up a shock tuning program which should allow you to get your tune tweaked for a bit less money than TF/Mojo currently charge.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe I’m missing something, but to me it looks like a Float X with 10 compression adjustments in open mode rather than 3.

It’s a twin-tube damper so should be closer to the performance of the X2.

Except that you can’t adjust it nearly as much, and it’s unclear how you tell if it’ll suit your bike.

ehrob

Ah ok, cheers. Interested to see if its any good.

mboy
    Free Member

pfff you riding a XC bike?

I will be riding a lot of “XC” on said bike, yes.

I’ve had a couple of rides on the STX 22 now, it seems very good and gives loads of grip.

Maybe I need to test one before committing to the new Fox DPX2 perhaps.

Might take someone without the skills/experience/correct tools a few hours to pull a shock apart and make changes, but can assure you for a Mojo/TF technician, pulling a shock apart and tuning it should be a fair bit less than an hour’s work. And it’s part of what they both offer when you buy from them.

It’s a twin-tube damper so should be closer to the performance of the X2.

Except that you can’t adjust it nearly as much, and it’s unclear how you tell if it’ll suit your bike.

This is part of what appeals to me. The X2 is incredible, but it’s HARD to find the optimum setup with sooooo much adjustment on offer. That and the 2 position climb switch (open and almost fully locked) isn’t ideal for me. The 3 position climb switch appeals greatly, as does the simplified compression setup. Give them the details of my frame, riding style etc. then they custom valve it for me and my bike, then I’ve only got a limited (hopefully useful) range of adjustment out on the trail still. That’s my take on it anyway.

Keep hearing great things about the DVO Topaz too though! Decisions decisions…

poah
    Free Member

It isn’t hard to tune an X2 or CCDB and if you are riding XC I’d not bother with a DPX2, it’s still a heavy shock. You should go for a manitou Macleod or the DT Swiss R414 shock.

SirHC

This is part of what appeals to me. The X2 is incredible, but it’s HARD to find the optimum setup with sooooo much adjustment on offer. That and the 2 position climb switch (open and almost fully locked) isn’t ideal for me. The 3 position climb switch appeals greatly, as does the simplified compression setup. Give them the details of my frame, riding style etc. then they custom valve it for me and my bike, then I’ve only got a limited (hopefully useful) range of adjustment out on the trail still. That’s my take on it anyway.

The X2 is mega, but its not an xc shock. I tried to ride my reign on xc rides, but a combination of geometry and a shock which is biased to dh style riding. You could wind in the low speed rebound and comression, but it still wallows around and bogs down. Enduro gnarpoons want to be ridden on steep/nasty/fast tracks, not bimbled round trail centres.

STX22 is a great shock, needs to be setup to your weight/bike/riding style as the range of adjustment is very narrow. The trail mode is very subtle (which for me is better than the monarchs quite harsh trail mode).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Also a little more trail focussed rather than a DH shock with a climb switch would be preferable on said new lighter, shorter travel frame.

a combination of geometry and a shock which is biased to dh style riding

I suspect far more geometry and

The other option is one of those super cheap Float CTD’s off CRC then get it PUSH tuned for my weight and the bike. Any feedback on a PUSH tune on a Float CTD shock?

I ran one on my Helius AC for the last few years (one of the early CTDs). The Push tune transformed it – in stock form it wallowed around and blew through the travel too easily no matter what spacers were added. Also in stock the ‘climb’ mode added very little support. Once pushed it was better in every way.

I’ve just swapped it out for an X2 on my new Helius (rode the Pushed CTD for a few months first) and not sure I’ve yet got it tuned as well.

The X2 is incredible, but it’s HARD to find the optimum setup with sooooo much adjustment on offer. That and the 2 position climb switch (open and almost fully locked) isn’t ideal for me

Yes, but you *can* get it set up just as you want. The advised set up was focused on fast DH – i’ve found for slower riding you need a faster LSR.

The impact of the climb switch must depend on the shock curve – on the Helius it’s fairly subtle. Useful but far from a lockout (reflects the lack of impact of the CTD lever on the Helius as well I susepct)

mboy
    Free Member

Any more for any more?

I’ve provisionally ordered a DPX2 but they’re still a few weeks away. I know they’ve been creeping through on OEM bikes/frames though so anyone got any experience?

Or just get another X2, as it really is the mutts nuts!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fox DPX2… Who's ridden one?’ is closed to new replies.