Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • fox dhx coil query??
  • renton
    Free Member

hi all ive managed to finally get the dhx coil fitted to my enduro after sourcing the correct top hat bushes for it to fit.

anyway im a bit concerned about how much travel i can use without getting on the bike and just by pushing down on the seat.

it has a 650 spring fitted which is way above what is recommended according to th tftuned spring calc.

how much preload can you put on the spring by winding down the top nut thing.??

fox manual says anymore than 2 turns or something?

not rode it yet but just concerned its going to sit well into its travel?

LoCo
    Free Member

sit on the bike, don't bounce, and the shock should sit 1/3 into it's travel. The travel of the shock being the length of the shaft in cluding the bump stop. Have you put any air in the boost valve/bottom out valve? 150 psi with the bottom out adjuster wound fully out to start and then tune position to suit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much do you weight? I'm about 200 lbs on a 3:1 leverage bike with a 700 lbs spring and I find the same thing. I never notice the shock bottoming but I do find it feels as thouigh it's sitting very deep into the stroke. Have you played about with the boost valve? It's not going to stop this happening but it will reduce the chance of harsh bottoming. As for pre-load on the spring, too many turns and it suggests you need a stiffer spring but mechanically, it's more about the spring becomming coil bound.

renton
    Free Member

ah i think i only put 100psi in it with my crappy pump so who knows whats in it!!

plus bottom out adjuster isnt fully out either!!will adjusting these make much difference??

renton
    Free Member

i weigh 260lbs full suited and booted!!

renton
    Free Member

tftuned reckon on a 589spring rate for my weight.

LoCo
    Free Member

600 lbs spring then, and see how you go with the bottom out 150 psi is goode starting point but wouldn't go much higher. Bottom out see how it is with it fully out, you can wind it in to make the shock more progressive, less likely to bottom out as name suggests!?
    Would drop pressure to 100psi to adjust as makes it easier to turn.
    Remember more bottom out less volume in air chamber = higher pressure so check setting after adjustment.
    Also these shocks benefit from a tune (mojo or Tf ) for the heavier rider as the damping is design to average weight 450/500lbs springs.
    Hope this isn't too condescending and helps

renton
    Free Member

cheers for that i believe its been pushed anyway and the chap was roughly my weight anyway!!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Boost pressure and bottom out have quite a big effect, from softest being low psi and bottom out chamber wound out, to firmest high pressure and bottom out wound in fully clockwise.

renton
    Free Member

ok thanks for all the replies.

as i say ive only just fitted it about half hour ago and yet to ride or adjust it properly !!

hopefully i can get it feeling better than the 5th element air shock its replaced

LoCo
    Free Member

another thing don't run under 125psi in the boost ideally no les than 150psi as this can cause them to cavitate (re-oil at mojo tf or similar)

Onzadog
    Free Member

It is possible to service these units at home as they rely on air pressure behind the floating piston rather than high pressure nitrogen. There's a great guide to this out in google-land somewhere. Just for future reference.

LoCo
    Free Member

Onza you bad lad! Your not far from Mojo they'll send the Boys round!!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

They'll never get me. As i understand it, they're not allowed to cross the border!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘fox dhx coil query??’ is closed to new replies.