Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fox CTD usage
  • skydragon
    Free Member

Bear with my newbie question pls 🙂

I’ve 2014 Fox float forks and shock on my bike (Canyon Spectral) and am thinking of adding a CTD remote lever to the bars.

I’m starting to use descend mode more and more as I gain confidence/skills to push harder/faster downhill. Trying to switch between trail and descend on the fly by leaning down and altering the CTD levers on the fork/shock whilst riding is a sure fire way for me to end up crashing, hence I’ve left it in trail mode most of the time so far, but really like the feel of the descend mode (which I find really confidence-inspiring) and want to use it more.

I can only add remote CTD capability to my forks, as my Fox float rear shock is not CTD remote upgradable.

My idea was to leave the rear shock set in trail mode all the time and be able to alternate the CTD forks between climb/trail/descend as needed using the remote on the bars.

question – I’m guessing that having the forks running ‘softer’ than the rear shock isn’t a problem and that varying the fork’s CTD settings alone, is probably far better than just leaving both forks and rear shock set in trail mode all the time?

Views, advice?

tomhoward

I just leave my shock in the descend mode unless I’m on the road, then switch to climb (and the equivalent on my pikes), never use the trail mode tbh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I rarely bother with the fork but the shock would get more use if I had a remote. Is it a CTD shock? if so it is remote capable just needs more of a service to fit the parts. I’m running 160’s and just left the CTD behind with the avalanche damper. I don’t really notice it that much. The rear is also not a massive problem with the VPP to help out but there are times when I’ve been racing that a remote would have been good. The rest of the time I’ve not been that bothered.

skydragon
    Free Member

I’ve tried leaving it in descend all the time, but found there is too much suspension movement (forks-wise mainly) when I’m climbing off road.

Spoke to Mojo regarding getting the rear shock upgraded and apparantly a Fox Float CTD BV can’t be upgraded, only a Float-x 🙁

tomhoward

I’ve tried leaving it in descend all the time, but found there is too much suspension movement (forks-wise mainly) when I’m climbing off road.

Try a click or 2 more compression damping?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m running T most of the time except on uplift, works for the bike. Try trail as it gives you the LSC that is useful.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 SB95 with Pikes. One the rear shock I only use C when climbing, everywhere else I just use D. On the forks, I use Trail when climbing out of the saddle or seated on fire roads, Open for everything else.
    The bike just feels better in D or open mode front and rear. The Pikes have a compression damping setting that only works in Open anyway so I use Open as much as possible.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Try a click or 2 more compression damping?

This and try to learn to pedal a little smoother / not bounce when you are climbing then just run D all the time.
    Personally I prefer to just set-up my suspension for the part of the ride where I want it working well (the descent in my case) and then just ride it set the same way all the time. It may occasionally be a minor compromise but I don’t like to be thinking about whether I should adjust the suspension when I should be thinking about riding the bike, plus there’s the chance of forgetting to set it into descend mode and slightly spoiling the performance on the fun part of the ride.

skydragon
    Free Member

unfortunately I’ve only got the basic Fox evolution CTD 140 spec forks, so no extra only basic 3 way CTD knob on the top of the forks, as well as rebound compression on the bottom of the fork leg

tomhoward

plus there’s the chance of forgetting to set it into descend mode and slightly spoiling the performance on the fun part of the ride.

this x dozens of runs that have ended with me looking down and turning the air as blue as the adjustment knob…

skydragon
    Free Member

This and try to learn to pedal a little smoother / not bounce when you are climbing then just run D all the time.
    Personally I prefer to just set-up my suspension for the part of the ride where I want it working well (the descent in my case) and then just ride it set the same way all the time. It may occasionally be a minor compromise but I don’t like to be thinking about whether I should adjust the suspension when I should be thinking about riding the bike, plus there’s the chance of forgetting to set it into descend mode and slightly spoiling the performance on the fun part of the ride

Thanks, I’ll give this a go first and see how i get on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fox CTD usage’ is closed to new replies.