Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fox CTD shock-difference between the C & T & D settings
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Just bought a new 2014 Ibis Ripley frame with a Fox CTD shock
    First ride out last night and I couldn’t tell any real difference between the three settings.
    This was both whilst riding and just bouncing the rear up and down.
    Bumped into a guy on a Santa Cruz Solo and his was the same.
    He said he hadn’t realised cos he never used the settings and just left it in D all of the time.
    I have a CTD fork on another bike and the difference I the settings is noticeable.

Is this normal or will it bed in or is there something wrong with it?
    In reality I’ll probably just leave it in D but I feel as its new and not cheap it should be right
    Cheers
    Steve

klunky
    Free Member

C – locked out but with an impact will blow through travel.
    T – blows through all travel
    D – really easily blows through all travel.

My 2014 fox fork worked in that style anyway

fatgit
    Free Member

Thanks for that-that’s how my fork is but the suck is still very active in C mode
    I’m guessing this isn’t right but the one n the Santa Cruz was the same so not 100% sure
    Cheers
    Steve

sambob
    Free Member

My shock definitely doesn’t lock in C, but does pedal better than T or D. Try adjusting the T setting with the black adjuster between the blue lever to increase the amount of compression damping in T mode. I’ve got mine on 2 as it blew through it’s travel as much as Descend mode when on 1.

fatgit
    Free Member

Ah right that’s what that’s for.
    I’ll try that
    Cheers
    Steve

cruzcampo
    Free Member

What pressure are you running? Will differ from bike to bike and sus setup obviously and CTD tuning code which is on the can. I have mine at 135psi, on a SC Blur, 13.5 stone. Perhaps yours is too high pressure?

Descend is lovely and plush and I use on anything rutty, flat or downhill
    Trail is a great speed setting for smoother trails and climbing too, still lots of suspension on tap
    Climb is hardtail firm, bit too firm for my liking, but some may like it for steep climbs, never use it.

iainc

mine works a treat on Anthem. C for a non bob, stiff climb, T for most riding, D for bigger fast descents.

renton
    Free Member

Ive had two of these shocks now and they both felt very different.

The one that was on my Trance was very noticeably different between the settings C was almost a lockout, T was a little softer and D was to soft, wheras the one fitted to my Orange 5 you really cant tell much difference between T and D.

You can get them tuned by various places so they act like you want it to.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I have one of these shocks on my M109 and when it first arrived the CDT switch did nothing but I had super plush travel but with next to no platform and it doesn’t have a trail adjust which I think is the black switch referred to above. I took it back to the dealer and after much squishing and pedalling up and down the road the decided to send it back to Mojo under warranty as there is a dodgy batch of these shocks where the CTD didn’t work and it’s not the first time they’d seen it. The next day I received a call from the shop saying that Mojo had called to say that they had the shock in the dyno and it’s working as designed but they offered for me to call the guy at Mojo to discuss the options. After chatting with the seemingly very knowledgeable man at Mojo for about half an hour it turned out that they get a lot of shocks back like this that ‘don’t work’ and it’s because the frame manufacturers are specing the shocks with very light tune, in my case it was light in compression and return (I forget what the actual term was he used) and ‘only’ 200psi in the boost chamber (again, can’t remember exact term), after a discussion about my riding I now have a shock with medium tune in both directions, Kashima upgrade and 300psi of boost. The CTD switch works a treat giving ever increasing platform from D through to C. I only went for Kashima because apparently it can help with small bump sensitivity when the tune has been increased, kind of makes sense.

The reason the guy from Mojo gave for frame manufacturers making this decision regarding light tune is so that the bikes feel super plush on carpark tests, cheeky monkeys!

My shock now works great and the service from Mojo was fantastic.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

It’s really just a 3 setting Low speed compression adjuster. Means you can set it on the fly. If you’re doing a lot of berms, it might be best to leave it in ‘trail’ mode as this will allow your bike to sit in its upper part of the travel rather than diving into all its travel in high G turns.

acidchunks

Mine used to be:
    C: really stiff, near rigid but gave a bit of travel if I hit something hard enough
    T: nice and plush but with a good level of compression damping
    D: super bouncy but bottoms out easily

2 years old and its now a CDD. I just put about 20 extra psi in to compensate.

Kryton57

C – locked out but with an impact will blow through travel.
    T – blows through all travel
    D – really easily blows through all travel.

Thats specific to a batch of forks<2014, which can be corrected with damper replacement.

Mine used to be:
    C: really stiff, near rigid but gave a bit of travel if I hit something hard enough
    T: nice and plush but with a good level of compression damping
    D: super bouncy but bottoms out easily

2 years old and its now a CDD. I just put about 20 extra psi in to compensate.

I don’t have the same problem with D. I use T to race, then use D for social rides. On 24hrs where I didn’t want to fiddle I did put an extra 10 Psi in and left it at D for comfort value yet to prop it up a bit.

Some mostly my experience on my Anthem is also:

mine works a treat on Anthem. C for a non bob, stiff climb, T for most riding, D for bigger fast descents.

Shred
    Free Member

On my SantaCruz TallBoy I can see quite a difference in the CTD.
    C is very firm – road use
    T is my general riding, climbing flat
    D is only for downs, maybe a bit soft, but okay

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    Spoke t the sho and they said what Adam Buckland above said.
    They offered to have a look at it but they’re not local so I’m going to bear with it for a little while and tweak
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fox CTD shock-difference between the C & T & D settings’ is closed to new replies.