Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox ctd evolution forks , how long to bed in ?
  • stevelolly
    Free Member

Still got quite a lot of stiction after approx 30 hours riding which is affecting the small bump sensitivity. Get a ticking noise from them as well , am I right in thinking this is just the valves opening?
    I’d hoped they would be a bit smoother by now , been leaving the bike upside down occasionally to lube the wipers as well.
    Tempted to do a lower leg service as I’m wondering if there’s enough oil in them or should I take the bike back to the dealer as its only a couple of months old?

d45yth
    Free Member

If you think something’s wrong, get them sent back under warranty. I wasn’t happy when I first got my current Fox fork…sent them back and it turned out something had been put in ‘on the piss’! Had them back in less than week and then they were spot on.

EDIT: Since Fox started using SKF seals, they now take less time to bed in (less than 30hrs!).

jonk
    Free Member

My new ones were nice from the word go. Much better than my 2006 floats.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Wibble89
    Free Member

They probably dont have enough oil in the lowers. My new Fox’s felt terrible, really sticky with no movement until big hits and pretty much bottoming out, opened them up and no oil came out the spring side (obviously some coating the surfaces but none spare.

After lowers service they were lovely.

Trimix
    Free Member

Forks should not “bed in”.

If there is oil it will work fine. Sounds like there is too little oil.

Its not like the bushes and stantions wear a bit to make it smooth. Its not a two stroke motorcycle engine after all. If it did “bed in” it would soon continue to do so and then “wear out”.

So long as there is plenty of oil under the seals, in the foam rings and coating the bushes it should feel fine.

Ring TF Tuned / Mojo or Loco if your not sure.

stevelolly
    Free Member

Thanks for advice , think I’ll give Mojo a call.

Forks should not “bed in”.

My Rock Shox forks have always taken about 10 hours of riding to loosen up, with correct oil as well. i think it’s the seals.

30 hours is not normal though.

If it did “bed in” it would soon continue to do so and then “wear out”.

Stanchions and bushings do.

BearBack
    Free Member

Ty used to say that forks ‘wear out’ except Marzochhi ‘wear in’

No break in period with Fox ime. good right out of the box.. as above get it checked out as if you’d be upset if they have stiction because someone forgot to put enough oil in on the assembly line.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox ctd evolution forks , how long to bed in ?’ is closed to new replies.