Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox bushings and a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

Are Fox bushings (and the spacers) dependent on the bike or are they a generic fit across all bikes?

Before I spend £15 an end on the bushing kits I was wondering if there was a cheaper option (eBay etc). I need the tool and some come with bushings (metal rather than plastic) but no spacers.

I know it’s the bushings – all pivot bolts checked and still a small amount of play. Although whilst I am at it I’ll probably get some spare and the tool for this too.

All new to me this with it being my first full-susser so any help greatly appreciated. Ta.

z1ppy

Bushing are dependant on the shock eye-let size
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/mount_kits_bushings.aspx

Not sure what you mean by spacers, but the mounting kit will normally out last several bushing replacements.

My last bushings were a couple of quid from a local bearing supplier.

bigjim

Alright buddy

I bought one of these and very impressed

magic tool and bush action

bigjim

You can get plastic bushes too, but if your mounting hardware is worn they get eaten in a couple of rides. The mounting hardware should be fine though, you’ll soon find out anyway.

I left my bushings too long before changing them and damaged the aluminium mounting hardware, so every new bush I put in lasted a couple of rides. Bought one of the TFTuned heavy duty jobbies and very impressed with that.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

thanks Zippy – by spacers I mean the bits between the shock and the frame.

eh up BigJim – yep, that very tool is on my shopping list. I’ll look into the heavy duty stuff which is in Zippy’s link. Trying to be prepared….one month to go 🙂

bigjim

Aye not long, it’s the annual excuse to spend a fortune on the bike! Not quite sure I’m at alpine-climb-ready fitness yet though…

For the new spacers from TFTuned you’ll need to know the width you need for the top and bottom mounts. For the yeti I had to go through the user manual and it turned out to be a custom size but I still received it next day. I only had to buy one for the lower mount as the mount to the frame moves very little and seems to be fine.

I think TFT do a low friction kit too which is probably about the same as the new plastic low friction Fox ones.

enfht
    Free Member

Mojo replaced my bushings, cant recall if they even charged for the fitting.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

…had a little trip up Helvellyn this time last week for a spot of Alpine practice. It was hot hot hot…and steep and fun.

Looks like I need M8 x 22, although the TFT site mention 3/8″ and SC in the same sentence and offer m8x22 and m8x22 3/8″ so looks like a phone call may be needed.

Paceman
    Free Member

Whippersnapper,

I think you need 12.7mm M8x22 for the rear shock on a SC Tallboy. The TFT Heavy Duty ones are good in my experience.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Thanks. Ordered.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox bushings and a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT’ is closed to new replies.