Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox 'adaptive' RP23 setup and general discussion
  • ask1974
    Free Member

I have the latest Fox RP23 on my 2012 Orange Five. I’m very happy with bike performance and certainly would not say that something is ‘wrong’, but I’m a little bemused by the fact that other than adjusting rebound and pressure settings have no discernible effect. ‘Firm’ is far from firm and 0,1 & 2 all seem the same? I’ve read with interest some of the threads talking about having shocks professionally modified for rider Weight (I’m 16st) but even so I would expect the settings to have some noticeable effect even if small.

Anyone have the bible on these things?

bren2709

Red dial is rebound
    Blue Lever is Propedal and the dial with 1,2&3 on is the Propedal settings.
    RP32 Manual check it out!
    Have you set the Sag on your shock?

stevede
    Free Member

I have a fox float evolution rl on my 2012 five and with my preferred sag of about 1/3 which gives a supple ride and tracks well without being too sloppy, i find that on big compressions or drops of any kind the shock bottoms quite harshly, i spoke to mojo on friday and they recommended me these:
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/airspacers.html
    Basically changes the internal volume giving more of a ramp up towards the end of the stroke. The bloke i spoke to at mojo was of similar weight to me (14st kitted up) and also rode a five and had the medium spacer fitted. You’ll probably need the largest of the 3 to get yours spot on but you get all 3 sizes anyway so easy to experiment.
    The problem with off the shelf components is that they tend to be set up for joe average 12st but this is a simple and easy fix, well i hope so anyway, i’ll find out for sure next week when i fit mine.
    I’d also spend a bit of time finding out what all the levers and dials do on your shock too.
    HTH.

ask1974
    Free Member

Bren2709 I have set sag. Very simply when moving the pro pedal lever between settings I cannot discern any difference, I’ve been switching between all four settings and can’t say with any authority that it makes the blindest difference ❓

Stevede, if I understand correctly the air spacers tailor the shock to stop it bottoming out? I have sag set at about 20/25% and the ring has yet to drop off the end. I’ve not hit any big drops yet so maybe I’m running too much pressure? The ride is pretty smooth with the rear end tracking well up hill and roots and small bumps smoothed out nicely. Thing is I’ve no comparison against which to set expectations. But back to my earlier point, I should notice a difference between settings? Shouldn’t I? I feel something must be wrong if it’s not doing anything. Hmmmmmmmm

stevede
    Free Member

I definately noticed the difference between pro pedal settings on my old rp23 – maybe get someone at your lbs to have a quick spin on it to see if they can tell if its working as expected or not.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve got the same shock on the same bike and I found you have to find the sweet spot of the shock that works with the different settings. I only weigh 10.5 stone fully kitted, so the standard tune is fine for me. The settings are a lot closer together in feel than I’ve had on an old shock. I find they only make a difference when climbing. You could be running slightly too little sag, meaning the rebound has to be slowed down. I found the feel got immeasurably better as I got closer to 1/3 sag, I just add or take off 5psi depending on the terrain. Experimentation is the key!!

skywalker
    Free Member

I have the same shock and bike. There is a big difference between the PP settings on mine.

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks. Will try more sag and see what happens. I run rebound quite slow anyway, probably about 1/3 from its slowest setting.

Would be interested to hear from others about the RP23 regardless of bike. Any tips appreciated.

skywalker
    Free Member

Im running 12.5mm sag which is 25%

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks Skywalker I was going to ask for specifics, may I be so rude as to ask your weight… My thought is that higher shock pressure messes with pro pedal. If I’m right I need to find the work around.

xcentric
    Free Member

have gne through same thought processes and posts here re rp23 on ibis mojo – net result was that it seems to be very sensitive to getting the setup just right, and then seems to be okay – am still trying to get there on mine, but decided to ride the bike more and fiddle less, and that seemed to do the trick. But I still, like you, find little difference between the three settings or even with the lever open or closed…..

deviant
    Free Member

Ask1974….have this shock on my Ariel, pressures do make a difference but ignore the advice on the Fox website. I set the sag to the recommended 20-25% and it was far too soft. I’m not light either at 14st. Get a shock pump and add pressure until you have 15% max sag. This was nice and firm and I got about 3mm shy of full travel on the shock stanchion at the local DH spot without bottoming out.

ask1974
    Free Member

Good so it’s not just me…Thankfully it’s not effecting my enjoyment riding but the idea that i’m not getting the best out of £450 worth of product is starting to bug me! I might try some air spacers and see what happens just for the hell of it. I have read posts on here from some guys that seem to know these things inside out, I’m hoping one of them takes interest.

Nice bike by the way…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fox 'adaptive' RP23 setup and general discussion’ is closed to new replies.