Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fox 40 help – shop selling cheap OEM models
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Found a shop selling some old oem forks they have acquired some how.

Forks are new as in never fitted but 2012 model.

They are knocking them out at £600. Is this any good for an old wheel size/4 year old fork? (They are not kashima)
    They don’t come with any box and shop admitted they are not uk supplied through mojo so no idea how warranty would work (they claim to be giving a 3 year warranty with them)

Anyone had experience buying old OEM forks?

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

If it was me I’d get these instead. Some Fox 40 oem forks do have basic dampers in and the new boxxer charge damper is pretty good.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Je James chesterfield had a set of 26″ kashima fit for less last month iirc. Worth a ring?

matlockmeat
    Free Member

It was in fact JE James. Definitely no 40’s with Kashima.

They have the fit cartridge but with them being oem I guess the internals could be different in some way.

How are shops allowed to sell these. They didn’t come through mojo the uk importer.

Surely this is wrong?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can a shop not sell what it wants. Your warranty / contract is with the shop your purchase from rather than the importer
    But if they said 3 years then get somthing in writing

Grey import is how some mail order discounters work

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Someone orders a bike with 40s. They do the sensible thing and chop them against some 888s. Shop sells 40s. Done

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with grey imports as with some brands like Shimano there are 9 I use not including Madison and all are official imports and all cheaper than Madison who are just the main importer and the worst importer they don’t even bring in a quarter of the shimano spares they used too Bitd and as a shimano service centre Madison used to provide me with next day spares any thing from cones to sti parts but know it’s cheaper, easier and quicker to go else where (rant over about Madison). As for je James selling OEM nothing wrong or immoral about that dude it’s how a good 90% of mail order company’s keep the costs down and if they are offering a 3 year warranty you should be covered for that time but if you don’t want to buy OEM forks then don’t that’s the great thing about this day and age you can shop around even buying from Europe is a relatively simple thing to do these days (thank you tinterweb).

the main question’s for this thread are,

Do you OP not like the idea of a company selling a product cheaper online as its OEM as you think this is deceiving and some how wrong or even illegal?

Or

Do you think all products should only be allowed to come into the country through main importers rather than smaller ones?

Not trying to be rude or offensive just seems an odd quibble from yourself to me. And again apologies if it comes across rude it’s not ment to be in the slightest.

Happy trails Dan

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Hi Dan, no problem.

I saw them in store so nothing to do with cheap online prices.
    I’m more than happy to buy the oem ones of the price is right and it’s legit.

Maybe I have this wrong but I thought the whole point of mojo being the uk importer means there can’t be another uk importer? Which then leads my on to my warranty concern. If the forks go wrong Mojo aren’t going to touch them with a barge pole. So don’t know how a warranty claim would get sorted.

If there is allowed to be more than one importer then that’s fine I just thought that’s how the dealer network worked.

I know a local bike shop, they tried going to America to import their own frames.
    Now the uk importer won’t supply them.

I was thinking of other examples. Jungle who distribute Santa Cruz. Pretty sure no one else on the uk can supply Santa Cruz bike to shops? if I wanted to set up distribing fox or Santa cruz in the uk pretty sure I couldn’t just set up a rival business.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

No cos Santa cruz wouldn’t supply you. If the forks were still attached to a bike mojo would still do warranty work on them. But as they’re sold off bike fork only it could be a sticky wicket. But it’s down to JE James to sort any faults, not your problem. In theory..

chestrockwell

I don’t have a problem with OEM stuff but I think the seller should state that they are. Sounds like that’s the case here but it often isn’t.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Some brands do sign up with importers for exclusive deals but normally the importer will have to pay for it and prove there the best importer. I’m guessing here but I’d the did go wrong je James would send them either back too there supplier or foot the bill with mojo. Mojo would provide you with service work if you asked them but warranty is always with pos no matter what you buy unless your buying direct from importer yourself. As for importers nearly all generic brands usually have more than a couple of importers it’s only a few brands and smaller boutique brands that normally have a sole importer 1. Too protect there brand and 2. There not big enough too need more than one.

hora
    Free Member

Maybe not the same- I bought old OEM Fox36’s from JeJames. They were dry as a bone/seals etc all dried out. Sent them straight back after a quick convo.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

OEMs Taiwan and non is USA iirc

Three_Fish
    Free Member

But as they’re sold off bike fork only it could be a sticky wicket. But it’s down to JE James to sort any faults, not your problem. In theory..

I bought a 36 from a distributor here on STW. It should have been sold OEM with a complete bike. When the compression adjuster broke Mojo refused to warranty it and told me that it had been something of an issue with Fox, to the point that they were going to stop provider OEM to some distributors. The discounts on OEM are significant, do it irks the manufacturers when their stuff gets sold off on this market. Apart from the graphics, the fork was identical to one bought ‘off the shelf’. In the end, the ‘shop’ I bought the fork from paid for the repair themselves.

ekul
    Free Member

The discounts on OEM are significant, do it irks the manufacturers when their stuff gets sold off on this market

Are they though? My mate was in Merlin buying some forks a while ago and asked the guy serving upfront why/how they were able to sell them so much cheaper than anywhere else. They responded that they basically speak to the manufacturer direct, ask them what the cheapest price they can do product X for is, and then bulk buy them in an OEM state. Whether Merlin pull the wool over the manufacturers eyes a bit claiming that they’re for their own brand bikes I don’t know. He also said that most of the customers aren’t too concerned that it is obviously OEM stuff because of the discounts offered to full RRP. Its still the same product at the end of the day.

Interesting though.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Are they though?

I can only relay what I was told. In my case, the seller was importer/distributor for a frame manufacturer and the forks were provided as components for complete builds. As I remember it (this is going back about four years), they were given a specific discount on the purchase of multiple units, with the discount being on the condition that the forks were only sold on, as it were, as part of a complete bike. I couldn’t say whether or not Fox usually limit discounts on bulk purchases on non-OEM units (different graphics and sometimes different adjustment set-ups) in order to, for example, keep RRP relatively stable. If this is the case, Fox still have to keep other distributors/sellers happy, so one can see how they’d could get twitchy if certain sellers start exploit the OEM-market prices. They don’t necessarily make more money (per unit), they just shift more units whilst effectively devaluing the product. Of course the customer doesn’t care – quite the opposite: I was very pleased with my saving – but it clearly matters to Fox, for reasons that may not be entirely clear to us. You’re right; it’s an interesting state of affairs.

chestrockwell

Its still the same product at the end of the day.

That’s not always the case as has been stated many times on plenty of threads.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Maybe not the same- I bought old OEM Fox36’s from JeJames. They were dry as a bone/seals etc all dried out. Sent them straight back after a quick convo.
    POSTED 4 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

Can you expand on this? Seals will only be lubricated once used???
    Or do you mean there was no oil inside the fork at all?

Also did yours come in a box?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fox 40 help – shop selling cheap OEM models’ is closed to new replies.