Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Fox 36's or Pikes to go on a Nomad??
  • ehrob

The thing about matching suspension, if these people are serious, is one of the most ill informed ridiculous statements I have ever read about anything ever.

Currently running a pike and either a cane creek inline or an xfusion vector coil shock.

jonnym92

Brand of suspension doesn’t matter, OCDness aside, surely you mean the feel?

The new Santa Cruz Bronson is spec’d with a Pike and Float X for example.

Mixing suspension brands isn’t the most common practice, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, and the Bronson’s RockShox Pike and Fox Float X played well together out on the trail.

Review.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah a Cane Creek (and presumably a Fox X2) can be twiddled to feel how you want.

Got a Pike and Monarch RT3 on another bike, feels a bit unbalanced, I’m sure a Cane Creek would be a better match.

julzm
    Free Member

Got both and Fox 36 wins all the way for me. Same for OH on his Nomad. Had no issues whatsoever with the three sets we have in this house. Cannot say the same for pikes unfortunately. If you’re not an average size/weight rider, then you’ll appreciate the increased tune ability of the 36s, assuming you’re talking RC2 rather than FIT4.

chestrockwell

The thing about matching suspension, if these people are serious, is one of the most ill informed ridiculous statements I have ever read about anything ever.

Of course I’m serious, from my experience. Why is it so hard to understand that some forks don’t suit some shocks? There really are some know it all bell ends on here.

dandasbike
    Free Member

new lyriks is where my money would go and £600 from winstanleys currently

deanfbm
    Free Member

Mixing suspension brands is upsetting

ehrob

It’s hard to understand that different brands of suspension won’t work well together because it’s complete rubbish. If it didn’t work for you then fine, but I suspect that’s because of what you did, not the fork, shock, or its designers.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Can’t just be as simple as just keeping it matching????

Lyriks, pikes, 36s are all really, really good, you are honestly splitting hairs that much, that deciding which to get becomes that insignificant, that deciding factors are things like matching what you have and colours.

Pikes are lighter, feel fine to me, lyriks and 36s feel like DH forks (that can be a good thing or simply overkill for the riding you actually do) and carry a weight penalty.

carlos
    Free Member

Well I really don’t get the ‘they have to match’, forks and shock that is. I’ve been using Rockshox forks matched to a Fox shock for over 10 yrs and works fine for me. So, matching decals, Spring type and matching front and rear suspension aside 🙂

I ride all over Wales, The Peak, The Lakes, trips to Spain, Morocco and The Alps so not going to be overkill, well I don’t think so anyway and I’m not one of those weight weenies that gives too much of a shite about weight of things.

After talking to the LBS, reading reviews, STW massiives input and speaking to one of my riding buddies (he has both) and the fact the LBS want the same uplift cost for either the Lryik or 36’s, I’m opting for the 36’s. 🙂

I figure if I don’t get on with them it’s going to be a cheaper option to buy Lryiks and swap out the 36’s than the other way round and maybe the 36’s will have a better resale value

Thanks all
    🙂

chestrockwell

It’s hard to understand that different brands of suspension won’t work well together because it’s complete rubbish.

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge of all shocks and all forks. Having had plenty of practise on plenty of different products over the years I must have simply got it wrong that time.
    With your extensive knowledge of every shock and fork you should produce a MOMBAT style list. Many of us could benefit from your teaching.

chakaping
    Free Member

For a good few years before Fox started with that CTD guff, the best combo for trail bikes was Fox shocks and RS forks.

Nobody’s saying forks and shocks from the same manufacturer can’t work well together, just that it’s not a reason to expect them to do so.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Carlos you said ‘swap out’

carlos
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member

Carlos you said ‘swap out’

swap out, change to, replace etc… not sure what you mean??

But yeah. If for whatever reason I don’t get on with the 36’s, take them off and sell them and buy and fit some Lryiks? The 36’s have to be worth more 2nd hand over the Lryiks.

Or are you implying I’ll be keeping the 36’s once I’ve tried them??

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36's or Pikes to go on a Nomad??’ is closed to new replies.