Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fox 36 Rc2 2016 Air Chamber Oil Volume
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Any idea how much oil I need to put in my air chamber when doing a service? I can find how much for pretty much every model before and after but it’s not shown on the 2016 chart.
    http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=649
    Also which oil should I be using in the air chamber. I have float fluid but the other models in the 2016 range seem to use the same fox gold oil as the lower legs and foam seals.

Thanks

Andy

dirtydog
    Free Member

Read somewhere on the Fox site that gold should not be used as a replacement for float fluid.

RickDraper
    Free Member

36 Fox says to use grease on the seals and inside the stanchion before inserting the air spring. Again put a smear of grease on the transfer shaft before fitting that too.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Yeah, just had a nose out of curiosity and its what Rick said, you don’t use Fox Gold or Float Fluid, Fox reccommend Slick Honey…

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=514

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have watched a few of their videos and read a few rebuild instructions and not one mentioned adding any fluid. I saw the bit about greasing everything and wondered if that’s all that’s needed.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep – spot on, just grease on the seals. If you do put anything in the air chamber, it will eventually migrate into the negative air chamber, through the transfer port, and reduce the negative air volume – making the fork feel like piss.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Next question. Where is the best place to buy slick honey?

honourablegeorge

Definitely grease, and not too much of it, it can block the tranfer port

SRAM butter and Slick Honey are one and the same, AFAIK, but SRAM butter is much easier to get hold of

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’ll probably get the branded slick honey. I always try and use the correct branded stuff so in the unlikely event I need to test the warranty I know they can’t argue with the products I have used.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Rc2 2016 Air Chamber Oil Volume’ is closed to new replies.