Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fox 36 in Cold Weather
  • slimsi
    Free Member

Went for a ride early this morning and was probably about -5c out with lots of frozen puddles etc…

I noticed towards the end that my 36’s FIT’s could be pushed down normally once and then if pushed down repeatedly would harden up to near on rigid, the adjustment on top felt really stiff as well.

Eventually they loosened up to more normal but not right, now they are back in my internal garage they feel better and smooth apart from not a grating noise but like if you rub your hands…

Anyone else get strange performance from forks in the cold?

Interesting my mates float 36’s were fine!

Thanks

Simon

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve had 2006, 2008, 2011 and my mate has 2015 36s and they’ve all been effected by very cold weather – the worst were the 2011 open bath ones, but then they were shit when it was hot, cold, tepid, fresh from the Van and after 2-3 hours riding – but if it was 17-23c out and after riding for more than an hour but no more than two they were okay-ish.

eshershore
    Free Member

@slimsi

do you keep your bikes inside your house (I notice you said an internal garage)

I’ve always kept my bikes inside my house, and have not noticed much difference in my Fox forks in cold weather because it only takes 10 minutes to ride to my local trail. the bike is going from warm house to being ridden straight out the door

My friends who keep their bikes in unheated garages, or transport the bikes on cars during cold weather, have commented on the same thing you experienced?

slimsi
    Free Member

@esher its a garage linked to the house so not outside temps but nearly, the tap in there rarely freezes….

Interesting to hear others have problems in cold weather, my mates 36 floats that worked perfectly all ride are stored in a shed so even colder than my garage!

ashweee
    Free Member

That’s funny that this thread has come up, I went to Cwmcarn this morning and although it was cold I don’t think it was particularly extreme, maybe 1c and my 36’s were also playing up.

They felt a bit stiff and lifeless the whole way around the trail, the rebound also felt very slow and I’ve not adjusted the forks since using them last.

I’ve never noticed them feel like this in the past and I’ve ridden in much colder places than Cwmcarn.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 in Cold Weather’ is closed to new replies.