Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fox 36 Float – reducing axle to crown height
  • karlp
    Free Member

Hi,

After some advice.
    Conflicting info on the net.
    I want to reduce the axle to crown height on a set of Fox 36 Float.
    I put the 36s, which are 160 travel, on a bike that had 150 travel forks on & now it feels too tall at the front.
    For info I have upped the shocked pressure, increased the fork sag & moved the seat & bars to compensate but it still feels too tall at the front.
    I mistakenly thought that reducing the travel on the 36s by 10mm (internal spacer at top of air spring in left leg) would also reduce the ride height (axel to crown) but it doesn’t.
    I have spoken to TF Tuned & they think it can be done using the internal spacer.
    Has anyone reduced the ride height (axel to crown height) on Fox 36 Float? If yes how pls?

Thanks in advance.

Karl.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

What year 36’s? As the 14 onwards travel reducing does reduce A-C

wiggles
    Free Member

As above…

But if not then lower rise bars?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve reduced my 2008 to 130 mm by adding spacer internally. This reduced the c2a height by 30mm.

karlp
    Free Member

Bought off ebay & def pre-2014.
    Onzadog, where exactly did you add the spacer?
    I’m assuming air spring in the left leg, which is where I placed the spacer to reduce travel by 10mm. This spacer is above the springs.
    Karl.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Spacer goes there, it’s a seriously easy job and definitely does reduce a/c height. I lowered my 2012 (ish) 36 floats by 20mm and it drops the amount of stanchion showing by, surprise surprise, 20mm.

The other thing is, what forks did you have before? Old 36s have massive a/c heights, so a 160mm 36 is much taller than a 150mm 32 or revelation. Worth checking to get the stack height where you want it.

survivor

36 is a big fork remember, quite a chunky crown. I needed to reduce to 140 to get my bike feeling right with them on. Internal spacers should reduce ride height if put in the correct place.

karlp
    Free Member

Raisinhat – that is where I put the spacer to reduce the travel.
    Forks that were on the bike where Fox32 150s.
    Now as I’ve only reduced by 10mm it may be that I am wrong & travel reduction has also reduced a/c height so I’ll measure as is then remove & measure again.
    Survivor – it could be that I need to reduce greater than 10mm to get the a/c height feeling right.

Anyone else experience with reducing a/c height on Fox 36 Floats older than 2014?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Your old 32s had an a/c of 521mm, while at 160mm 36s have an a/c of 545mm. To get the same total stack height you’ll need to drop the travel by 20mm and lose a 5mm spacer from under your stem or run a few % more sag.

If you’ve put the spacer there then you will have definitely dropped the a/c height, but it’ll still be 15mm taller than your old forks.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Agree about the 36 vs 32. The reason I’m running my 36 @ 130mm is to suit a 140mm hard tail.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Raisinhat – that is where I put the spacer to reduce the travel.
    Forks that were on the bike where Fox32 150s.
    Now as I’ve only reduced by 10mm it may be that I am wrong & travel reduction has also reduced a/c height so I’ll measure as is then remove & measure again.

Well you can’t reduce travel without reducing the a to c. Agree with all the above, running a pair of 2009 36s at 150mm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Float – reducing axle to crown height’ is closed to new replies.