• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DK.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Fox 34s & new RS Pikes….
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

…can the travel be internally adjusted?

I’m looking to beef up my forks but my bike can only handle is warrantied for 140mm forks.

I’m sure the Fox forks can be done but I haven’t been impressed with my ’13 32 Float CTDs on the bike already and have read only but good things about the Pikes.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Fox 34 Floats are internally adjustable (there’s ‘how to’ instructions on their website) but I don’t think Pikes are yet, although there’s a big thread about them on MTBR that might shed more light. http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/pike-2014-a-861503.html

JCL
    Free Member

Pikes can be adjusted down to 120mm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My 34 Talas ‘adjusted’ themselves down to about 100mm when the talas cart gave up. Two weeks later and back from fox and a ‘new’ cart. flick the lever, gets stuck same problem. Also the damping is shite on the 2013 models.

warns74
    Free Member

I think I read somewhere on here recently that the kits for adjusting Pikes were coming in the next month or two.

LoCo tuning seemed to be in the know so might be worth dropping them a line. IIRC about £35 for the kit?

rickon
    Free Member

Only on the RCT3 damper mind.

Fox 2013 onwards are just pants, theyve tried to simplify things for numpties, but in doing so ruined the damping and spring rate. 2012 forks were too progressive, so they went the opposite way.

I’ve seen nothing but rave reviews of the Pike, and I’ve got mine on the way in the post now 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

If you have some 34’s and they’re blowing through their travel, contact Mojo and get them sorted. There’s an updated cartridge you can fit (or they will) and it rectifies the problem.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I must admit I sent my 32 Floats to Mojo and they tinkered with them (put more oil in to reduce the airchamber volume??)and they felt much better after but I’m toying with the idea of bigger, stiffer stanchions and the reviews of the Pikes have read well.

If LoCo is around and reads this post then hopefully he can let me know if he’s expecting travel adjustment kits for the Pike. If so, i’ll start writing my letter to Santa 🙂

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

It’s just the CTD stuff. Bought some 2014 40 float RC2’s even after the 34 debacle and they are normal Fox awesome. Cant believe and air spring is that plush!

Taz

Both can be adjusted. The Fox’s more easily I believe.

I have both Pikes and 34’s

Now I have 15ml of Float Fluid in the Air Chamber the 34’s are MUCH better

Pike – great out the box, cheaper and RS reliability is typically better. Pikes all the way would be my vote 🙂

Mbnut
    Free Member

I am still saving up to get my ’13 Fox units sorted… gutted it looks like costing a fortune to make them work.

Been riding some ’14 Fox units for a few days and they are too far the other way so I will not be getting the ’14 Fox kit for mine. Not enough damping in D and too much in T…. what was wrong with high and low speed compression adjustment????

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

@Taz what have you adjusted the new Pikes from/to?

Taz

I was going to adjust them from 160mm to 150mm but decided not too as they need a kit / new internals. For what it is worth the Axle to Crown for 160 Pikes was only a few mm longer than the 150mm Revs

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Another for the pikes 160 26″, they’re plusher and cheaper and hold up well.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi to KOB what was wrong with your fox CTD`s??

rickon
    Free Member

Judging by his comment they felt too linear, so blew through their travel too quickly, which the obvious option is then to increase the air pressure, but this ruins small bump sensitivity.

The answer is to reduce the volume in the air spring, so they become more progressive, there are a number of ways to do this, the easiest is to reduce the volume of space for the air to fill, so pop some float fluid in the air chamber, or you can add spacers – like the Pike enables you to do.

This means you can run low pressures, so small bump compliance is very good, plush – but the stroke of travel ramps up at the end, so you dont bottom out the fork.

Simples, innit 🙂

You can do that at home, a 22 or 24mm spanner/socket, take the air cap off the top of the fork (after letting the air out), pop 15ml of float fluid into the air chamber, and done. That’ll cost you £5 and 10 minutes to do.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Ha, in the time I logged on and started a response to NCB you answered it for me rickon….but better 🙂

Difficulty in getting the feel of the forks right via the usual air pressure/sag technique. Too harsh in Trail. Too much dive in Descent. A trip to Mojo and extra fluid in the air chamber improved things considerably.

Just think my bike could benefit from bigger, stiffer forks.

kimbers

the pike is even easier to alter the spring rate, pop off top cap, add (supplied)spacer – ive just done mine

and a fair bit cheaper
    and better sealed
    oh and black stanchions over those tacky gold ones

cant see any reason to buy a 34 over a pike

davosaurusrex

Nothing too specific to add to this thread other than I ordered a set of 140mm solo air 29er Pikes thinking they couldn’t be that much better than my Revelations (which I thought were pretty good) but I was wrong. They are awesome.

gb1m
    Free Member

I’m going to be selling a set of 2013 fox 34 talas 150mm if anybody is interested.

I run them on both my bikes but have ordered a set of pikes to see what all of the fuss is about.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now I have 15ml of Float Fluid in the Air Chamber the 34’s are MUCH better

Yep did this on the first service, stopped the “blow through” though it wasn’t especially bad.

Rate my 34’s think they are great and had no issues with them. I’m obviously not riding as hard as you guys 😉

gb1m
    Free Member

I ride pretty hard and have not really had a problem with them . If you grab a handful of front brake they do dive.

I’ve spoke to someone about it and they said that heavier oil would make them more progressive to sort that.

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmm… changing the oil weight is sorting the damping and rebound, not how linear or progressive they are.

gb1m
    Free Member

Dunno mate

The guy I spoke to does it for a living so I’m just going off what he said.

Or maybe I mis understood him.

ronburgundy

The 29er Pike 160 I have came with travel reducer spacers in the box.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The 29er Pike 160 I have came with travel reducer spacers in the box.

They are not travel reducers, they are to change the characteristics of the air spring curve.

If you want to change the travel on a new Pike you new a new air spring assembly.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

As far as I can tell it’s possible to reduce Pikes to 140mm. Through social media I’ve seen a Rockshox sponsored rider sporting Pike 140 26 and a prominent photographer with Pike 140 27.5

Not sure whether the reduced air spring assembly is available to the general public yet though.

LoCo
    Free Member

It is with machining on the 26″ ones (did a set this week 😀 )
    140 27.5/650 air assm. should be available in UK in the new year, we have them on order now. or can machine current units.

RickDraper
    Free Member

You can do pikes with either a new air spring or just cutting and retreading the air spring shaft.

DK
    Free Member

LoCo (or anyone else!)

Please can you tell me the thread size (and pitch!) of the air shaft?

thanks

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34s & new RS Pikes….’ is closed to new replies.