Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fox 34 talas and aching hands
  • wolfrider
    Free Member

Hi guys im running a set of 2014 fox 34 talas ctd factory fit kashima forks which perform fine on local trails, however whenever i use them on more rocky trails or for uplift days i get chronic hand pain to the point where i can barely open my hands, i run them with the recomended air pressure and about 28 percent sag.ive never had this problem with any other forks and have tried new bars, grips and changed the brake lever position to rule out any of these possibilities and i dont grip the handlebars too tightly which is why I believe it is down to the fork. Has anybody got any suggestions as to what i could do to solve this problem before i end up dropping 500 quid on a set of pikes? Thanks all

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I had the same forks and had issues with the Talas jamming, so sent them to Mojo and had them converted to Floats and had them fiddled with.
    Best £200 I have ever spent – they’re now super plush and don’t dive like they used to. I was on the verge of changing them before but I now prefer them to Pikes as they work every bit as well and are more bling!

I did a little write-up here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fox-34s-at-last-i-am-very-happy-with-them

wolfrider
    Free Member

Thanks mate, ill have a read of that.

wolfrider
    Free Member

Anybody compared the talas conversions to pikes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had the float version couldn’t get it perfect so dropped the avalanche cart in. Cheaper than a pike and the 34 is a great chassis

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I put a Avvy cart in mine too. The CTD cart compression was awful – a choice of soft enough to provide grip and take the fast small stuff meant no low speed and front end dive and tuck, or firm enough to provide front end support but far too much high speed comp for the rough stuff.

The avvy cart is a revelation in comparison. Great adjustment, amazingly plush and barely any heavier.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think there are also differences of errors the ctd range, I had the top end retail which was better than the oem (I sold my old cart to a guy who is a bit lighter and he gets on fine) it’s a 300g weigh penalty for the avalanche as it’s open bath so more oil.
    The talas just doesn’t help as you need much better compression damping to sort out the linear fork

hughjayteens
    Free Member

wolfrider – Member
    Anybody compared the talas conversions to pikes?

I’ve ridden pikes a lot and think that a tweaked float is every bit as good (or better if it’s the new FIT4 version). The talas keeps getting better, but it’ll never be as good as a float and the travel adjust is more hassle than it’s worth I think. If I was buying new I’d get Pike’s as they’re great value, but if you have 34s already, spend a bit of money getting them tweaked and they can be awesome.

I’ll be getting 36s on my next bike..

LD
    Free Member

I had sore/tired hands after a descent at Comrie yesterday, then I realised I had switched to Climb mode not Descend! Oops.

chiefgrooveguru

I had that feeling in my hands after an uplift day at Antur riding my hardtail with open bath 32s. Fortunately they went back to normal after 3 months! One theory I have is that the rebound was set too slow, so I was getting stuck deeper in the travel where the fork is much firmer. You might also try running less sag, again to keep you up higher in the travel (I’ve noticed that pros tend to run much less fork sag than you’d expect).

takisawa2

Was expecting better from the 34 CTD Factory adjust on my Five but, as with the op, they leave my hands numb. They seem ok for bigger hits but my 29+ hardtail is more comfy over smaller stuff. Sorely dissapointed.
    Oh, & after little use the Climb mode has all but dissapeared now.
    These things are what, £800 off the shelf…!!!

Debating getting rid of the bike anyway, but the forks can go back for a fix under warranty first.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34 talas and aching hands’ is closed to new replies.