Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fox 32 talas or Pike 327 forks on a Pitch ?
  • fuzzynod

Thinking of buying a 2009 Specialized Pitch frame to swap all my updated parts from my 2007 stumpy.
    The guy has the Pike 327 forks from the pitch too. But my Fox 32 talas have just been serviced and work well both sets are 140mm travel.
    Which are going to be the best way forward ?

sharkattack

I had Fox 32’s on my Stumpy Evo and they never did me any harm. Even thought they were the (shock horror) 150mm versions which everyone says are too noodly.

fuzzynod

Ah thanks for that well that will save me a bunch of money to put towards a wheelset.

james
    Free Member

Your fox talas (are they QR15 or QR?) may be on the noodly side for a pitch, but a Pike 327 will be on the underdamped side given a 327 has no compression circuitary at all, just a rebound damper.
    They’ll be coil U-turn so fine tuning (compared to air) will be a bit hit and miss, compromising between the different weighted springs (I assume the seller will only have one in it?)
    The 150mm sector with no damper I rode in the alps last summer was definitely in need of a damper. Being air I could set it just so that I didn’t lose too much when it came to the small bumps without it diving too much under braking and on the steep stuff

I think:
    335 had a lockout, 351 had motion control compression damper (no floodgate), 409 had moco (internal floodgate adjust), 426 had moco (external floodgate adjust), 454 had an aluminium steerer tube (426 also perhaps?)

fuzzynod

Wow that’s a lot of info to take in thanks very much. My talas are just qr. Would I notice much difference going to a 9mm bolt through axle as I was going for superstar hubs as I can get various adapters as I upgrade my components.

james
    Free Member

I’ve only ever ridden a 10mm thru rear axle (DT RWS), never a front 9mm thru-axle, and its noticeably (though not that often) stiffer than a standard 5mm QR

I’d advise against superstars own 9mm front thru-axle though, they’re pretty heavy with the steel axle. The American Classic ones appear to be the same, but with an aluminium axle making them I think £18 and 80g. Iif you want to throw more money (£30-45 or so) and go lighter again then the DT Swiss RWS thru-axles are very nice and secure. Supposed to be stiffer than one with a QR lever because you can properly crank them up tight, can stand on them if you wish. The newer (metal?) version is supposed to (not had mine ages) last better than the old plastic one which strips the plastic ratchet teeth off itself

Northwind

Have you ever felt the 32s lacking in the past? James is spot on, the Pikes are fairly basic so they’re stiff but less controlled, your 32s will be much less stiff but possibly more controlled (depending on the model) And with the capability of a Pitch you’re more likely to run into issues with either or both of those.

I really don’t like 32s at anything past about 120mm, they’re very obviously an XC fork with delusions of grandeur but at the same time, I don’t like turnkey dampers much either. If it was me, I’d try it with the 32s as you already have them and then if that doesn’t work out upgrade. But I would not buy these 327s.

BTW there is no Pike that has no compression damper- the 327 comes with the basic turnkey compression damper which lacks adjustment

breadcrumb

Pike 351s also have an aluminium steerer too.

Bolt thru axles make a big difference too me.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Just about to strip down my old hardtail for selling off bits if you want a Pike Team which was serviced last year then never ridden! Open to offers as I have no idea what to sell em for!

I had Fox 32s on that bike before the Pike, and I never really felt that confident with them, putting the Pike on made a massive difference to the feel with a much stiffer and better damped front end. Probably a mix of the 20mm through axle and the Motion Control damping.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fox 32 talas or Pike 327 forks on a Pitch ?’ is closed to new replies.