Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • fox 32 talas 150 or fox van 36 160mm for alps
  • cabbage84
    Free Member

Just booked to go to morzine and have now focused my attention of getting my bike setup for it. I have a trek remedy 8 with a fox 32 talas 150mm and im considering putting a fox 36 van 160mm on. Obviously it will add weight but i aint planning on pedalling up many hills. Am I right thinking the coil will give a more linear compression. Any thoughts on this idea would be appreciated also any other upgrades you would advise

Amos
    Free Member

I think you should swap your Fox 32’s for my Fox Float 36 R’s everyones happy! And they won’t add much weight either…..

cabbage84
    Free Member

I want to keep mine for back in uk. Plus I think I saw your ad the other day and yours aren’t tapered.

Amos
    Free Member

Dammit, ah well worth a try!

Rickos
    Free Member

I had 32 Talas forks in the Halps in 2009 and the Fox 15mm axle isn’t that stiff. It was fine apart from when you’re braking hard into a hairpin turn and you could feel a wee bit of flex, not enough to bother you, but it was there. Everywhere else they were great and they were fine back in the UK – not too many steep hairy switchbacks back home.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Slightly slacker HA, coil loveliness and stiffer steering of the 36’s would be a winner in the alps. Don’t see any reason why you couldn’t run them in the UK as well, after all the Remedy came with lyriks or 36’s when it first came out, only the drive for a lighter do it all by Trek and the release of the scratch meant the following years bike came with the 150mm 32’s.

cabbage84
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to run the 36’s in uk cos I like the talas adjustment for climbing. I only thought about buying a set of 36’s for the alps for the added stiffness and extra travel. I plan on only using the 36’s fir when I go overseas alps this year and whistler next. Just wanted to know if it was worth changing to coils for the more downhill bias riding overseas

grantway
    Free Member

If its just for the Alps etc, then put the Vans on
    There a fit and forget fork.
    And the little extra weight will get you down faster 😉

foxman
    Free Member

coil 36 every time

BearBack
    Free Member

I ran 160mm 36 floats on my Voltage FR this year.. I didn’t feel like I couldn’t charge just as hard as I would on the same bike with 36 van (yes, I tried both)
    Having spent the best part of 3 seasons (1 was XC racing), trail riding and AM riding a Ransom with 36 Talas in Whistler/Squamish finest, I wouldn’t be afraid to run that as my every day fork – f you wanted to be a 1 fork guy.

Dont forget that if going to 36, you’ll probably be needing a new hub (or adapted if you’ve already switched out the oem wheelset) as 36 takes a 110/20mm thru where as the 32 you have is likely 100/15mm.

But, if you’ve the inclination to have a holiday/uplift fork.. Float or Van.. either will work nicely.

solamanda
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother. Don’t forget you’ll effect your warranty. I have a remedy and the fox forks work atleast as good as the 6″ ‘dh’ forks I had on my first couple of downhill bikes. They’re plenty stiff with the tapered steerer. Put your money into tyres and instant courage*.

*Mid afternoon alpine beer.

Toombsy
    Free Member

I have some van 36 R 160, with taper, approx 195 steerer off my 2010 trek scratch 7.
    I have promised them to a friend but I think he is having second thoughts. Will find out if your interested? I wouldn’t want to post so would need to collect from Maidstone.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Toombsy would of been interested but im up in northumberland. It wouldnt effect warranty because you just swop the old ones back in before you send it away

Nonsense
    Free Member

Toombsy I might be interested depending on price. My folks are only round the corner. Can you mail me Jake(DOT)collie@gmail(DOT)com?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘fox 32 talas 150 or fox van 36 160mm for alps’ is closed to new replies.